Yay or Nay?

intothenight12

I don't have a case yet, i am wondering if all of this will fit together, and if it will, is it worth it/what would be some better options, and what case would hold it all. Here goes:

ASUS M5A99X Evo
AMD FX-8150
Evga GeForce GT 430 x2
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 x16
Western Digital 1 TB HDD
Crucial 64 GB SDD (For giggles)
Cooler Master M1000 1000W PSU

Misc.
Asus 24xDVD±RW

Does everything check out? Looking at about $850 for everything minus the SSD, about $920 with it included, and with the cables i'm placing another $20 on it, so looking at $940-$950, depends on shipping and if i estimated right, and all that's left is the case (hopefully).

jonnyp11

What is this for? You would be way better off with an i5-2500k, an HD 6850 or 6790 or 6770, and there is just no reason at all for that power supply.

For the case, depends on what you want to spend, a haf 912 would be good for lower end, and there are tons of options for more.

intothenight12

it's for an everything use, gaming, rec., school projects, on and on, but why that CPU instead of this one? just wondering here, not all "GAHH THAT ONE IS CLEARLY BETTER STFU" on you or anything lol

claptonman

It's just not better. The 8150 uses a lot of power, and the i5 beats it in a number of benchmarks. Between the two, I'd get the i5 every time.

The PSU is way too much, like jonny said. A 750w would power two video cards easily.

And x2 430s is just pointless. It would be much better to get a single 6770, if that's all you want to spend the money on.

linglingjr

You said it's for every thing (school projects) I would check with your Computer Systems teacher and see if you can get a deal through him/her. I was able to get windows 7 professional for $5 because they have some licensing deal with microsoft.

spirit

Staff member
Can you even do SLI with the GT 430? I don't think you can just run the two cards together. I'd forget about the GT 430s and the money you would have spent on those I would buy one GTX 550 Ti instead as that's going to be much better for you and with the 550 Ti you can do SLI in the future if you want to. Two 430s would cost you about $135, one 550 Ti would cost you about the same but you'd get much better performance.

intothenight12

Okay, so i made some edits to my list, and here goes:

ASUS M5A99X Evo
AMD Phenom II 1100T
Radeon 6850
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 x12
Western Digital 1 TB HDD
Crucial 64 GB SDD (For giggles, to run OS off of)
Corsair Enthusiast Series 850W PSU

Is the PSU still overkill? Also, from what i've read with the board, i can run two cards, and i was thinking about maybe one of the 7950's when i have $500 to throw around :p

jonnyp11

the cards have to be the same to run 2 of them, as in only 2 6850's would work together.

the psu is overkill, that only needs at most a 650w unless you plan to get a second.

And i think this was said before, you'd be much better off with a i5-2500k and a z68 or p97 motherboard. It might say it's a quad core, but those 4 cores are way faster/more efficient than those phenom cores.

intothenight12

ahh, didn't know that. i'm still semi new to this, forgive me.

and yes, i know about the whole cpu thing, but i'm already pretty set on that ASUS board, and it only supports AM3/AM3+

MineIQ1701

the cards have to be the same to run 2 of them, as in only 2 6850's would work together.

the psu is overkill, that only needs at most a 650w unless you plan to get a second.

And i think this was said before, you'd be much better off with a i5-2500k and a z68 or p97 motherboard. It might say it's a quad core, but those 4 cores are way faster/more efficient than those phenom cores.

^Exactly, also, stick with only 8 gigs, theres no reason whatsoever you would need more than that for you you are describing.

Edit: Ok, what do feel is important in this board, I guarentee you we can find one that fits all your needs perfectly.

intothenight12

well, can someone like, walk me through this then? i guess i don't have an idea of what i'm doing, so if someone would be kind enough to help, cause as i said before, i am new to this

jonnyp11

are you building this yourself? ordering from newegg or something?

do you live near Atlanta, like within an hour or so i guess? there's a store called microcenter which has great deals on processors and mobo combos too.

intothenight12

are you building this yourself? ordering from newegg or something?

do you live near Atlanta, like within an hour or so i guess? there's a store called microcenter which has great deals on processors and mobo combos too.

oh snap, i do actually, mom lives up there (i'm like ~3 hours south, so no probs) and i'm building it myself, because i wanna learn more about them, i just don't know what resources to use. i've mostly been playing legos with it though on amazon/wikipedia, looking up things to see if they fit, probably why the build sounds so retarded

jonnyp11

No it's a pretty good build, just not for what you want.

But there, you can get the 2500k for 180, a good mobo for <150, and they didn't this month, but normally there's a special for 40 or 50 off when you buy the cpu and mobo together.

intothenight12

okay, i'll look into it. but i'm gonna change what i said about what i want it for(sorry for not being specific lol), it gonna be mainly used for some heavy gaming (getting away from console game, i just don't find it as attractive anymore + pc normally has console commands <3), but also the occasional video/photo/document editing for school, and some recreational use too, so i'm try to like, i don't know, compensate for everything i guess lol,

tl;dr - gonna be used for heavy gaming/school stuff in between