Yes!! I scored a G0 Q6600 At Newegg!!!

RoyalDog214

Wow, I was either very lucky or Newegg is having more of the new updated version of the Q6600. But either way, this is still very lucky because Newegg doesn't specified which one is G0 or B3 :D; Don't believe me? Check out the customers complaint in the reviews section.

Why does B3 and G0 matter? Well because G0 tend to use lesser energy, and doesn't heat that much.. which make it perfect for overclocking.

Intel Quad Core and a Free Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter 2 (Ironically, I don't have Part 1), and I wonders why they gave me 2 advertisement paper. :rolleyes:

cpu1ca4.png

You see the SLACR by the PROD CODE:? That mean its a G0!

cpu2lw8.png

So anyway, sorry to waste your time, but I'm just happy right now knowing that I got the right one :p

hermeslyre

VIP Member
SLACR is the best G0 batch stepping around. I hear it can reach 4.0ghz with a bit of work, and maybe alittle bit of luck.

Congrats

RoyalDog214

why does intel have so many different steppings?

Marketing.

And I know that website like Clubit.com is selling a Q6600 with guarantee G0 stepping, however my dad bought it for me (Out of generousity, even though I could've pay for it) and the only website that he knew that sell computer's parts is newegg.com

But still, I was pretty lucky to get a G0, and I'm glad I got them. :D

hermeslyre

VIP Member
why does intel have so many different steppings?

It's not just Intel. AMD also have a ton of different steppings and batch steppings.. It's stems from the fact that they're always fiddling with the chip; making changes, revising architecture, and so on.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
g0 is the Revision stepping. One letter, one number. When the number changes that means the manufacture has done a minor change to the chip, when the letter changes that means a bigger change has occurred, such as a architecture revision.

Another stepping is the Batch stepping. It's the 5 character code that can be found on the front of the chip and nowhere else, AFAIK no system information app can tell you this code. It stand for the specific chips manufacture date, such as week 36, 2006. They both are very important to overclockers. Normal end users do not have to worry about them as much ;)

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Are they changed alot you mean? It depends. Sometimes they are changed very frequently, but most of the time it takes awhile for them to get around to it.

spanky

Hmm, news to me! I learned a couple other things from that article, Intel calls their batch stepping a "s-step" and they actually have an app to see what it is. AMD chips don't have this... ::Cry::

Yeah... I read a substantial amount of reviews about hardware and info about hardware in general.