Yet Another BF3 Gaming Computer Rebuild

tANNERRRR

Hey guys! New to this forum :D
So I built my gaming computer about 4-5 years ago and it is finally time to UPGRADE! EXCITING! But since I have been out of the loop for a while, I need to know what is good and what is NOT.

Current specs:
nForce 680i LT Mobo
4 GB DDR2 Corsair Ram
E8400 3.0 GHz CPU
PNY GTS 250
Ultra 600W PSU

My new rebuild list is as follows:
EVGA 580i LT Superclocked
8 GB G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3
AMD Phenom X4 975 CPU

What motherboard should I buy, and will I need to upgrade my 600W PSU? I don't want to spend more than $130 on a motherboard, and I don't really care about SLi.
I was also leaning towards an i7 processor, but I heard they are overpriced and the X4 975 is very good for gaming.

Please give me any recommendations! But please don't confuse me too much by throwing a bunch of different stuff at me. I am pretty set on the video card, but maybe someone will change my mind :)

Thanks guys.

claptonman

Really, the 955 is a great CPU for the price. Here's a suggestion for the board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519

You're gonna want to upgrade your PSU, as well. Not really for the watts, but for the brand. its a cheap brand and could fail and take your system with you. I would get a 650w from antec, corsair, silverstone, seasonic, pc power and cooling, or XFX.

I would wait for the new AMD bulldozer CPUs, coming out next week, hopefully.

tANNERRRR

Really, the 955 is a great CPU for the price. Here's a suggestion for the board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519

You're gonna want to upgrade your PSU, as well. Not really for the watts, but for the brand. its a cheap brand and could fail and take your system with you. I would get a 650w from antec, corsair, silverstone, seasonic, pc power and cooling, or XFX.

I would wait for the new AMD bulldozer CPUs, coming out next week, hopefully.
Ok cool i will def. get a new PSU then.
what about this motherboard? it has great reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631

sicdeath

If you're going to put money into a system, why not just get the intel i5 or i7? The 2nd generation processors would be much better for gaming.

dsgarcia

If you're going to put money into a system, why not just get the intel i5 or i7? The 2nd generation processors would be much better for gaming.

I can tell you from experience with the i7 and Phenom II x4/x6 that it is the better processor currently; However, for the purposes of this thread it isn't in his price range. Tanner is looking for a decent processor for gaming in his price range the AMD Phenom II x4 955 would be a perfect fit. If he had an extra $150 bucks to shell out on a processor then you would be correct in thinking that he should get an i7. As far as the i5 goes.... you are not correct in thinking it would be much better. i5 is on the same level as a Phenom II x4 so as I said he is correct in his selection of processor. P.S. long live the sandy bridge :)

jonnyp11

I can tell you from experience with the i7 and Phenom II x4/x6 that it is the better processor currently; However, for the purposes of this thread it isn't in his price range. Tanner is looking for a decent processor for gaming in his price range the AMD Phenom II x4 955 would be a perfect fit. If he had an extra $150 bucks to shell out on a processor then you would be correct in thinking that he should get an i7. As far as the i5 goes.... you are not correct in thinking it would be much better. i5 is on the same level as a Phenom II x4 so as I said he is correct in his selection of processor. P.S. long live the sandy bridge :)

actually the i5 is the exact same performance in gaming, the i7 only has added threads that no game other than fsx knows how to use, the i7 basically gave its 4 cores the information lines of an 8 core processor, so it can get and send more info at the same time since its processors are so fast, but no game is threaded to use more than 4 cores other than fsx so they are just wasted on a gaming machine currently and for the next couple years to come too, and the i5 is much faster than any phenom, although in gaming the hardware is so far beyond the software than it makes no difference, benches are the only true place you will notice a big difference from the 955 to the i5