Yet another buying question :D

compfused

I'm in the market for a new laptop. My budget is around 1600 USD. I've been doing alot of research and I keep coming back to this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9172511&type=product&id=1218043606827

I've seen other people on this forum suggesting this as a laptop for gamers, and honestly the price/performance ratio seems to be the best I've been able to find. One issue I have is the processor is a little low end for my taste. So I was considering buying a more powerful processor on newegg.com and having geek squad install it, or possibly doing it myself. A few questions I have:

How future proof is this computer?

How well will that CPU perform?

And how difficult (If possible at all) is a processor swap?

Edit: Also, if anyone knows of a laptop withen my budget that has superior specs please post it up, I'd kinda like to bump the GPU up to a 9800gtx, and/or a t9600 processor, but those options all seem to be upwards of 2000.

Edit Edit: I've found this beast with a slightly better CPU, big price trade off for a seemingly small upgrade though.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220493

Last edited:

ZeroWing

I dont think u can change processors but dont hold me against it. A dual core isnt future proof anymore especially the one in the laptop. Your gonna be gaming on this laptop? WHy not get a cheaper desktop that can actually run games at max? Just my opinion

compfused

Yea I'm a not really a desktop person. I'm really into mobility, so I can grab my laptop and game while watching a movie in the living room, or take it to my girlfriends place, which I travel back and forth from several times a week. A desktop wouldn't cut it for most of the things I'm going to use it for. I do game quit a bit, that's why I'm wondering if I should bump up the expense a little. I could probably safely go to 1800 but it would clean me out as far as spending cash goes...so I'm trying to tighten up the wasteband so to speak. What about that second lappy I posted?

compfused

Any opinions on the 3 lappies I posted? I think i like the last one best (asus). But will I see a large or noticable drop in performance in games based on the GFX card? From a GTS to a GS. Most of the reviews I've read most people got a GT instead of a GS but that's no guarantee. If it did indeed come with the GT it would be a no brainer for me. But I am going by the item description.