yet another 'help me choose' thread...

csi1189

ok, i have pretty specific needs for my new laptop. i will mostly be using it for multimedia and editing (both playing and editing video, pictures, and some audio). This means using the adobe premiere/photoshop programs and other such CPU-demanding programs. I would be editing more video than anything, and so a firewire port is necessary. I was looking at the Toshiba Satellite M45-S355, and really like it's overall appearance. I also like the wireless on/off switch. However, I would really like DDR2 memory. I don't really need a super fast video card -even an Intel integrated graphics chip would do, I guess. I assume the graphics card would not affect my multimedia experience - and only my gaming experience (which is nearly non-existant). Because of my lack of gaming, all I need is one that will handle extensive media editing / playing. One last thing - an obvious. I want a notebook that is attractive and not too heavy. Also battery life is important to me. Preferable one that will last at least 3 or so hrs. Thanks for the help.

alanuofm

VIP Member
csi1189 said:
ok, i have pretty specific needs for my new laptop. i will mostly be using it for multimedia and editing (both playing and editing video, pictures, and some audio). This means using the adobe premiere/photoshop programs and other such CPU-demanding programs. I would be editing more video than anything, and so a firewire port is necessary. I was looking at the Toshiba Satellite M45-S355, and really like it's overall appearance. I also like the wireless on/off switch. However, I would really like DDR2 memory. I don't really need a super fast video card -even an Intel integrated graphics chip would do, I guess. I assume the graphics card would not affect my multimedia experience - and only my gaming experience (which is nearly non-existant). Because of my lack of gaming, all I need is one that will handle extensive media editing / playing. One last thing - an obvious. I want a notebook that is attractive and not too heavy. Also battery life is important to me. Preferable one that will last at least 3 or so hrs. Thanks for the help.

i wouldnt flip out over ddr2. the higher clock results in higher latency and gives performance increase in the small percentages.

csi1189

so do you think the m45-s355 would suit my needs? or is there a better one out there somewhere?

alanuofm

VIP Member
although a video card will not enhance anything when doing video/photo editing, having a dedicated video card will reduce the load on the CPU. actually some professional video editing programs suggest a 3D accelerator.
using system memory to generate images on the screen can cause the computer to be sluggish as well.

i would suggest a lower-middle tier video card. no need for a top of the line.

csi1189

This is what the notebook comes equipped with for a video card:

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator w/10MB-128MB shared video memory

I think that should be fine - even though it has no dedicated memory - plus the system has a gig of RAM. But if my editing needs still require some dedicated memory, can you suggest another notebook much like the Toshiba Satellite M45-S355, but with a better video card?

alanuofm

VIP Member
csi1189 said:
This is what the notebook comes equipped with for a video card:

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator w/10MB-128MB shared video memory

I think that should be fine - even though it has no dedicated memory - plus the system has a gig of RAM. But if my editing needs still require some dedicated memory, can you suggest another notebook much like the Toshiba Satellite M45-S355, but with a better video card?

i explored other toshiba options and they seem to be pretty expensive. lemme first suggest an alternative and one i have used. very nice laptop.

dell-insp-6000-350x250.jpg

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 760 (2 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON X300 PCI Express x16 Graphics
1GB DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms
15.4 inch WXGA LCD Panel
100GB Hard Drive
8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
9-cell Lithium Ion Battery (80 WHr)
1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr Technical Support
Free Dell Color Printer 720

TOTAL:$1,174.00

i've used this laptop and its great. its light, thin, and looks nice.

however if you are decided on a toshiba then just let me know.

csi1189

is that the 6000 or the 9300? the 9300 is almost too big for me - i'd get lost in its screen...

The only reason I'm hesitant on this dell is 3 people in my media intern class already have it (it's a really small class - around 10ish). Plus I'm trying to get away from the whole dell name - no real good reason for that, though. Also, is that price with the 40% student discount I've heard about before? I'm not a college student, so that wouldn't apply to me - as far as I know. I guess what I have to do is just go to a store that has these two machines in stock and just see them in person and decide which I like more. But I have considered the 6000 before, and I do like it. I just can't get it for a price like that. I'd like to know how you got it that low.

alanuofm

VIP Member
csi1189 said:
is that the 6000 or the 9300? the 9300 is almost too big for me - i'd get lost in its screen...

The only reason I'm hesitant on this dell is 3 people in my media intern class already have it (it's a really small class - around 10ish). Plus I'm trying to get away from the whole dell name - no real good reason for that, though. Also, is that price with the 40% student discount I've heard about before? I'm not a college student, so that wouldn't apply to me - as far as I know. I guess what I have to do is just go to a store that has these two machines in stock and just see them in person and decide which I like more. But I have considered the 6000 before, and I do like it. I just can't get it for a price like that. I'd like to know how you got it that low.

thats only a 15.4inch laptop and is the same size as the one you posted. very light and thin notebook. try all of the following coupon codes for the best price.

?Q2VH66VGW$R0W
845ZX80RJKMBWP
CMJV4FPX60BVWM
CSFNLP484P73S6

i'm going to bed so sorry if i dont respond.

MadMandy

alanuofm said:
thats only a 15.4inch laptop and is the same size as the one you posted. very light and thin notebook. try all of the following coupon codes for the best price.

?Q2VH66VGW$R0W
845ZX80RJKMBWP
CMJV4FPX60BVWM
CSFNLP484P73S6

i'm going to bed so sorry if i dont respond.

i also checked out that Dell 6000 too....and with the current special price, it comes out to be $1,583 when i tried to get a quote. I tried all the coupon codes you provided above, but it seems like they are all expired. any trick to this?

Enjoihcky24/7

MadMandy said:
i also checked out that Dell 6000 too....and with the current special price, it comes out to be $1,583 when i tried to get a quote. I tried all the coupon codes you provided above, but it seems like they are all expired. any trick to this?
If your go to google and type Dell coupon codes some should turn up. Also www.notebookforums.com (is it a no no posting another forum?) might have some coupons for dell computers. I'm quite sure they do actually. Also if dell has another promotion (like 35% off) coupons MIGHT not work.