Yet another person looking for advice buying a laptop

klauss

I am going to be a nursing school student and I am looking for a laptop. I would rather have a desktop but the limited space available to me in my apartment and the need to travel to different locations for clinicals points me to a laptop.

I'm not sure what specs I would need, but I imagine I would need to be able to run charting programs for class, general use for anything a college student needs, possible presentations. I also know of various tutorials on CD and DVD that would be great to run on it if possible. And of course need to be able to get online.

I'm not heartset on any particular brand I can spend 1500 on the onset, but if there was a real good deal one for 2 grand I could easily work a couple days overtime to get the money.

thanks for the any advice.

Lax

VIP Member
Well a company that I really love is Emachines. They are the best kept secret in computing. Asus and Acer also make some pretty kick ass laptops for around your price range. The emachine I know is 1500$ with a free battery (I think) from www.zipzoomfly.com The Emachine and the Asus's both use the A64 I believe.

klauss

Any advice as to what the specs should be, bet you guy's can't tell I know next to nothing about computers lol

klauss said:
Any advice as to what the specs should be, bet you guy's can't tell I know next to nothing about computers lol

Spec wise an intel M should work well. You wont need anything better then integrated graphics, 512 ram should be good, I don't know what you will want for storage but anything above 40gb should work fine. Having a nice (big) monitor will be good and almost every good laptop has a dvd/cd reader and sometimes burner. If you are going to play Dvd's you might need a vid card but don't pay much extra for one if the laptop dosen't have one.