You are never to old to build a PC

Laquer Head

Just thought I'd mention this cause it made me stop and think about a few things. It's easy to think things about people based on age and as we all enevitably get older--I for one hope I am as 'cutting edge' as my grandma.

A few weeks ago my grandma was telling me that her laptop was kinda being fussy! (Yes she said fussy). So I took a look and it seemed to simply be a case of age, older parts, and dust!

After some discussion, and recognizing that she doesn't need a machine to move around--she commissioned me to help her build a nice little PC for her room! Her only requests were that it be quiet, fast, and look good playing the sims3 and majjong!!:)

So for $700, we built a nice little AMD quad system, with 8gb ram, 4800-graphics, and a few other goodies-- The whole thing is complete overkill for her but it inspired me a little..

Age really is just a number.. and you can't judge a book by its cover...:cool:

By the way, if you were wondering, shes 92!

Concordedly

Just thought I'd mention this cause it made me stop and think about a few things. It's easy to think things about people based on age and as we all enevitably get older--I for one hope I am as 'cutting edge' as my grandma.

A few weeks ago my grandma was telling me that her laptop was kinda being fussy! (Yes she said fussy). So I took a look and it seemed to simply be a case of age, older parts, and dust!

After some discussion, and recognizing that she doesn't need a machine to move around--she commissioned me to help her build a nice little PC for her room! Her only requests were that it be quiet, fast, and look good playing the sims3 and majjong!!:)

So for $700, we built a nice little AMD quad system, with 8gb ram, 4800-graphics, and a few other goodies-- The whole thing is complete overkill for her but it inspired me a little..

Age really is just a number.. and you can't judge a book by its cover...:cool:

By the way, if you were wondering, shes 92!

Great story. Especially for a grandma! I hope my wife is still loving computers as much as she does now.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice!

But like mentioned 8Gbof ram....but wth if its cheap enough then why not.:D

I must say its not everyday you hear of a 92 Year old playing Sims 3 :D :good:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Nice!

But like mentioned 8Gbof ram....but wth if its cheap enough then why not.:D

I must say its not everyday you hear of a 92 Year old playing Sims 3 :D :good:

It is a waste of money because that machine will never utilize that much RAM ever. Even though maybe it was only $100, that could have bought an external 500 gig ESATA drive with enclosure for data back ups, which is more practical and more important than running 8Gigs of RAM.

I don't care though, it is their money not mine.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is a waste of money because that machine will never utilize that much RAM ever. Even though maybe it was only $100, that could have bought an external 500 gig ESATA drive with enclosure for data back ups, which is more practical and more important than running 8Gigs of RAM.

I don't care though, it is their money not mine.

Quite true tbh....or could have just purchased 4gb and whatever he saved on the rest gave it her back to put for other things :)

But like you said...not your money,Sounds like shes happy with the system he built her so...:)

aviation_man

She's 92 and she knows how to operate a computer like that?? That's impressive. My grandmother has trouble with her computer and she's 70..

tlarkin

VIP Member
8Gigs could cost $100 total, not the extra 4Gigs.
You can get 4Gigs of DDR2 for less than $50.

You're suggesting they run the pc with no RAM at all.

Oh please, I just don't know the prices off the top of my head....

My point is still valid, the money spent on the second 4 gigs of RAM could have been put towards an external HD for data back ups, and would have been a better purchase.

bomberboysk

IMO 4800 graphics is complete overkill as well as the 8gb memory:eek:

But, good to see there are still older people in the computing world hehe.

Last edited:

TFT

VIP Member
The OP posted here to share a story, happy that he built a computer and happy for his Grandma. It's sickening that some have to put him down for what he's done, so what if its overkill, that was not what it was about. What a self righteous attitude to take in attempting to belittle him for what he's done by picking holes in the computer build.

Laquer Head

The OP posted here to share a story, happy that he built a computer and happy for his Grandma. It's sickening that some have to put him down for what he's done, so what if its overkill, that was not what it was about. What a self righteous attitude to take in attempting to belittle him for what he's done by picking holes in the computer build.

This is the thing, I'm one of those people that really believes everyone is entitled to their opinion and input.

Of course it is overkill...but really...most of us have 'overkill' machines.

And in this case, my grandma has no need for 8GB ram, but she has even less need for a second HDD.

As TFT mentioned, I did it for my grandma because she wanted a new computer and enjoys spending her money--and my grandpas benefits she receives from his days in WWII.

I think its wicked that at 92, she can still enjoy life, spend her money, and I'm sure if my grandpa was alive he would have been right there beside me inspecting it to make sure it was built well!

Anyhow, just wanted to share the story and I appreciate all the input/thoughts.

Forums Rule!

As a side note: After I finished it and she was checking it out, she thanked me and then proceeded to ask "Now why didn't you give me Windows 7 Ultimate too?.."

Last edited:

OvenMaster

VIP Member
She's 92 and she knows how to operate a computer like that?? That's impressive. My grandmother has trouble with her computer and she's 70..
Good for her! My dad is 73 and doesn't want to do anything with a PC but play Solitaire or FreeCell for hours. He constantly "forgets" how to turn a PC off! :rolleyes: