Your advice needed, cheapest netbook to download files via free wifi?

I have a good desktop computer at my house, and I don't use the internet much except to download a file every now and then.

Our internet from comcast is $40 per month, so I want to get rid of the internet at my house, and get a netbook to download files when I need them by utilizing free wifi hotspots, then bring them home and transfer them onto my desktop.

What is the cheapest netbook or other device I can get to do this? I am fine with buying something used.

claptonman

Go to craigslist or ebay and get a used one. Make sure it has at least USB 2.0, otherwise it'll be slow as crap.

I have already been looking around on eBay, but the number of different models and choices is overwhelming.

I don't need to run programs other than a browser and a downloader, no games or anything.

I don't even care if it's a "netbook' per se, just something that can connect via wifi, download, and transfer to my desktop later.

strollin

I doubt you will find a netbook that was made before USB 2.0 was the standard so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Depending on what size files you plan to download, you may want to consider the hdd size (some netbooks have only a tiny ssd) to make sure there is room for your downloads.

I would steer away from the older Win CE models and look for one running Win XP or Linux. An early Acer Aspire One or Asus eeePC are probably your best bets.

ayan

You can get one at 200 Euro, but you won't need that. You should visit second hand stores, or workshops that repair notebooks and sell them. If you don't use them at anything else, you should find maybe at around 150 Euro. The laptops have really become cheaper now. I have a Compaq 615 that i'd sell it maybe for 250, and it's very good at doing almost anything except gaming.