*your computer is infected with <insert name>* popups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zargot

in the bottom left corner of my screen, i'm getting various pop-ups saying that my computer is infected by some horrific virus doing horrible things to my computer and i have to click the little bubble to fix the problem. well when i do click the bubble i get a web page that pops up and tells me that i can click there to get a free computer scan. GREAT! exept i have to pay to get the viruses removed.

also, there's the small fact that the viruses the popups and free search sites claim i have, i in fact dont have. i know this, because ive searched my computer both with pc-cillin and avg free edition and scanbot search & destroy, neither found anything.

these little popups are driving me insane, and i'm begging you to help me. how do i make them shoo?

btw, one popup site stated that there are keyloggers and hacks on my pc that trach my personal information, and to show that this exists they had done it too. and according to that site, i live on the other side of the country.. :S

Kabu

banned
Download XoftSpy, scan, and see what it comes up with. The same thing happened to me. I did buy the program, it was $40 American and came with RegScrub, and I have been clean ever since. BTW - I use AVG, Comodo, CCleaner, Spyware Terminator...something always creeps in.

Laptop

When it happened to me, I used AVG, Adware SE personal and zone alarms, which helped me to get rid of those popusps

PabloTeK

The sites use information that you can get off an IP tracker sites like those that phpBB uses. It's not hard to find. It's a scam.

Status
Not open for further replies.