Your opinion on ultrabooks?

swchoi89

Hey guys,

Any opinion on ultrabooks like Asus Zenbook & Samsung Series 9?

I'm looking at the specs in this range: 8GB RAM, i5-3571U, 128SSD, 15".

Has anyone ever used the above products? Do they get hot? Do you ever feel any lag when you browse the web+have multiple apps on like 10 Excel files + 5 IE browsers, etc?

How long do you think I can expect to use this thing if I buy today? Main reason why I want the above two is because they are super thin, light, reasonable battery power and the look of it.

Thanks in advance,

KasperL

Hey mate. I have the ASUS Zenbook as my school computer, and you should stay as far away as possible. The keyboard is the worst thing ever. However the performance is great, and it is really practic to bring around.

But don't waste your money on it. I'm sure that somebody will vouch in with a better ultra book.

cwizardtx

Hey guys,

Any opinion on ultrabooks like Asus Zenbook & Samsung Series 9?

I'm looking at the specs in this range: 8GB RAM, i5-3571U, 128SSD, 15".

Has anyone ever used the above products? Do they get hot? Do you ever feel any lag when you browse the web+have multiple apps on like 10 Excel files + 5 IE browsers, etc?

How long do you think I can expect to use this thing if I buy today? Main reason why I want the above two is because they are super thin, light, reasonable battery power and the look of it.

Thanks in advance,

For reference: http://shop.magicboxsolutions.com/compare/31/61/71

I've used the UX31A-DH51, actually my wife uses it now :) It's got a beautiful 1920x1080 IPS display and being all SSD it is pretty responsive. I recently read about some keyboard issues with these guys though, and for the most part they are caused by the keyboard connector somehow wiggling loose. If you have a small T5 screwdriver you can actually take the back plate off and correct the issue yourself very easily and without voiding warranty. The other units are basically just upgrades from the UX31A. The IBM (Lenovo) unit is like your Cadillac... it's built to be abused but the price matches the quality.

I think you'll get a long use out of any Ultrabook as long as you don't go with the bottom dollar. Try to get something with all SSD and don't settle for less than 1600x900 resolution, aim for full 1080.

I'm happy to answer any other questions if I can.

swchoi89

Thanks guys, so Zenbook is not bad huh? But I think Asus is a bit more pricy than the Samsung. Only downside of the Samsung series 9 are that resolution is only at 1600x900 and the touchpad isn't as good. :S

cwizardtx

Thanks guys, so Zenbook is not bad huh? But I think Asus is a bit more pricy than the Samsung. Only downside of the Samsung series 9 are that resolution is only at 1600x900 and the touchpad isn't as good. :S

Yeah I guess it's a little more expensive but the display is so sharp. It's the highest PPI display next to the MacBook Retina with the exception now I guess of the Taichi but that's 11.3" or so.