Your opinion Please

phoenix_bl

Hi guys,
I am new in this forum, and i hope to find some advice/opinion about the computer i am about to build.
Here is the configuration i am looking at:
Case: Logisys Clear UV Reactive case
extra fan: Thermaltake Iflash 80mm (just for the look)
PSU: Apevia Iceberg 680W
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-990-FXA-U03
CPU: AMD Bulldozer X6-FX6100 six core 3.3 Ghz
or AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Quad core 3.6 Ghz
(Your advice on which one i should choose)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB (4X4GB) CPU Cooler: Thermaltake SpinQ VT
Video: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1Gb

Please let me know what you think about this configuration and what i should change.

claptonman

No on the power supply. Its a terrible brand and might fail and take the whole system with it. Look for at least a 600w and from the brands corsair, antec, silverstone, seasonic, pc power and cooling, or xfx.

You only need 8GB of RAM. That is overkill.

For the CPU, I'd go with the 6100 or a quad phenom. You most likely won't need that extra 2 cores for any program.

No on the case. No cable management and its all plastic. I recommend a corsair, nzxt, Lian Li, or coolermaster.

phoenix_bl

Thanks Claptonman,
I originnaly opt for the 6 core because of the lower price compare to a phenom.
What about the performance ?
Anyway, i take note of your opinion and advices. Thanks again.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I originnaly opt for the 6 core because of the lower price compare to a phenom.
How much lower price?

The Phenom is faster for most things, not only is it clocked a bit higher but in some scenarios Phenoms are faster than the new FX CPUs even clock-for-clock. The FX CPUs do really good when using certain programs that utilise the new instruction sets (a lot better than their predecessors I should say) but if you're using it just for gaming, you might be better off with a phenom.

Also, I would definitely recommend a six-core over a quad for gaming unless you're really strapped for cash, at the moment having more than 4 cores makes little to no difference but games are constantly getting better at utilising multiple cores so a year or two down the extra cores will probably pay off since you won't be needing a new CPU so soon.

Gary1

How much lower price?

The Phenom is faster for most things, not only is it clocked a bit higher but in some scenarios Phenoms are faster than the new FX CPUs even clock-for-clock. The FX CPUs do really good when using certain programs that utilise the new instruction sets (a lot better than their predecessors I should say) but if you're using it just for gaming, you might be better off with a phenom.

Also, I would definitely recommend a six-core over a quad for gaming unless you're really strapped for cash, at the moment having more than 4 cores makes little to no difference but games are constantly getting better at utilising multiple cores so a year or two down the extra cores will probably pay off since you won't be needing a new CPU so soon.

I agree 100% That is why I always get the best, claptonman has brought to my attention in another thread that the AMD Phenom II X4 960T can be unlocked to 6 core. I noticed its the cheapest Phenom II x4 at newegg.

phoenix_bl

mistake in my first post

AMD Bulldozer X6 FX-6100 (6 core) 154.99
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition (6 Core) 199.99

Canada Computer.com

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
yes. 8 GB is enough for most any situation. Photoshop, CAD, or running a 64bit VM would be about the only reasons I see to run 16GB, other than nothing better to do than waste money.

Gary1

Ram is cheap now.

I think the most immportant thing to look for is Cass Latency of 9, 8, or 7. Lower is better, but with higher speeds and larger DIMMS sometimes 9 is the best you can get. Usually 8 GB DDR3 1600 or better the best you can get is 9.