Youtube Won't play

dave1701

An error occurred. Please try again later.

That's what I get with Firefox. IE works. I upgraded Firefox and flash player. What could this be? I get this message in the middle of the player.

Question #2:

I just upgraded to Firefox 4 and it is really annoying how a bunch of it is transparent. Is there a way to turn the transparency off so it looks like the old one, without turning Aero off?

gamblingman

VIP Member
I've had that a few times. Did you mean you updated Firefox to 5.0?

Try Firefox in Safe Mode. If you are in Firefox 5.0 starting safemode is done by going to HELP then Restart with Addons Disabled, then ok and it will restart. It will ask what you want to make permanent, dont check any of the boxes just continue with safe mode. Try Youtube and see if it works now. If Youtube works now then its an issue with one of your addons. Restart firefox and disable one of the addons and restart the browser. If the problem goes away the problem was due to that addon. If disabling that particular addon didnt cause youtube to work, then disable the next addon and try again, continue until you get youtube to work properly.

If that didnt do it then I would run CCleaner to clear all temps. After that, then open Firefox, Tools, Clear Recent History, "Time Range to Clear" EVERYTHING and under DETAILS select all boxes so everything is cleared.

Then uninstall Java and Flash (check installed programs list to be sure all old versions of both are removed) and reinstall the most recent version of both.

dave1701

I started Firefox in safe mode, and youtube worked. I disabled all the addons on by one, but even with all of them disabled, the videos still failed to play. I ran my Ccleaner, but that didn't do anything either. Other than plugins, what could be causing the videos to fail, that is disabled in safe mode.

Thanks.

gamblingman

VIP Member
  1. Close all open windows. Open Firefox, then close the browser. use FILE --> EXIT. Then check task manager under processes and see if Firefox is still running. Was it still running?

2. Check your proxy setting in Internet Explorer --> Tools --> Connections --> LAN settings --> If the box under Proxy settings is checked, UNcheck it --> then ok out of the windows and close I.E. Definitely say something here if it was set to use a proxy.

3. Did you uninstall both Java and Flash player (remember to check your installed programs list to see if any older versions are installed and uninstall them) then reinstall both. Sometimes this helps.

4. After you ran CCleaner, did you: open Firefox, go to Tools, then down to Clear Recent History, drop-down the "Time Range to Clear" and select EVERYTHING, under DETAILS select all boxes so everything is cleared.

dave1701

This isn't good. I did everything. No, Firefox wasn't running after I closed it. IE was for some reason though. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to go back to using IE now that I have learned to love Firefox, but I'd like to have youtube. Thanks for your help.

gamblingman

VIP Member
Figured it was an addon. You can use this elimination process in the future to solve other browser problems also. Though I like Firefox for the addons, I use chrome a lot also and its a LOT faster. I never use Internet Explorer except for getting Windows updates.

Glad its fixed!

tremmor

i to with addons in the past. Same thing. Started closing a few at a time for something else and another website. then restarted one at a time to isolate then figured it out. No i did not associate your problem with this. Maybe your procedure through me off.
life is good. Just didn't make sense why it didn't work.

BAM...... Life is good. Your adventure. just another one.
Until the next one. get'em often enough i guess.