z97 build with 2 gpu for dual or 3 screen $2500

13westbay

I am looking to do a z97 build using 2 gpu for dual screening possibly 3 in the future.

main use is for gaming/movie machine

i have a vg248qe 3d monitor as my main screen and as a secondary just a cheap flatscreen,

I prefer asus for most of my equipment, no real reason just had luck with them.

pricerange is $2500, negotiable on gpu setup willing to start with one then upgrade later when more funding is available

such as doing two 970's or 1 980 and later going to a 2nd 980

so i've decided on a few things i grew a liking too, don't know how doable it is yet..
Corsair 760T case
Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark S Mobo
I7 4790K Devil CPU
Asus GTX 970x2 Geforce Gpu
And a rough total on it so far is about $1250

I still need Ram and a power supply i have all my other peripherals and disc drive

Last edited by a moderator:

C4C

I like it so far.. That case is going to be massive though..
Edit: Nevermind.. Wrong case in mind..

13westbay

so i did a power calculator on a sales website and it showed me using 2100 watts... i played with 2 vs. 1 gpu and the difference was 900 watts, is that correct? i only inputted the mobo, ram, 2x 970 gpu, usb etc...

I did one on another site and it gave me 650 watt, any advice on a power supply i am going to need to power this? idk what with the variances

I am going to be running the above Mobo, case w fans, processor, 2x970 sli gpu, and 4 usb 2.0 items and 2 usb 3.0 items at any given time, probably 16 or 34 gb ram, deciding if 34 is neccesary or not.

any advice is well appreciated

beers

Staff member
I'd probably avoid the 970 if you're going to use surround. Once you hit 3.5 GB VRAM, performance drops like a rock.

2100w is not a valid figure for two GPUs in that system. Even a high quality 850w should be able to handle both cards.

13westbay

I just had a headphone plugin speaker set its not too high end as far as my surround goes, and i was going for the 970's because i'm gonna be aiming for mostly 1080p gaming at higher fps rates or messing around with the 3d on occasion, the 970's scale better compared to just 1 980, now i might consider doing a 980 then doing an sli later in time to 2x 980's

thoughts?

or if you have a suggestion for a 2xgpu setup thats better than the 970 but not as expensive as the 980 i'm all ears(well eyes i guys but you get the point)

if the surround was an issue w the 2x970's could i install a dedicated sound card to get around that problem? just random thoughts atm

Last edited by a moderator:

13westbay

ok now i feel like an idiot lol, sorry anytime surround is mentioned i always think of audio,
ok i understand now, do you have a suggestion then on the cards? just start with one 980 and in the future add another?

13westbay

well the plan is i have 2 monitors possibly going to 3 in the future,
the thoughts are use one 980 for one monitor for the time being then upgrade to two 980's for the 2 or possibly 3 monitors in the future