Zalman 9700

pies

I got a zalman 9700 with the fanmate 2.
The wire for the fanmate got cut and no longer works.
Is there a way to controll the fan through the motherboard?
I have it pluged in and it's spining at full speed.
How can I get it down?
thanks
-pies

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Either buy a new fan controller, or only some motherboards will have a fan speed selection in bios. Or you might be able to change it in "speedfan". I would probably buy a fan controller though

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Does the HSF use 3 pin or 4 pin connector? If it uses 4-pin then it can be controlled automatically by the PWM function from your bios.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
hey, its off topic, but is the zalman 9700 anygood?

yeah, i own the 9500. and ordered a 9700 with a E8400 which will be here tomarrow. They cool very well, and for people like me. Its a good solution for mid tower cases.. all 120mm cooler are not guaranteed to fit :p

dave_w

Pies,

The Scythe fan controller you linked to WILL NOT work. It has the same three-pin fan plugs as your motherboard apparently does. What you're looking for is a fan controller which lists at least one PWM fan control in its specs.

For about $7, you should be able to get another FanMate2. They're nice and cheap like that. I managed to crack the case on mine when transferring it to me new chassis (the double-sided tape is amazingly sticky), and the circuit board inside broke. Tape, apparently, is mightier than circuits :(. Check to make sure the new one comes with all the cabling you need. Otherwise, you should be able to get what you need from FrozenCPU.com.

Vipernitrox

the scythe fan controller wil work perfectly. If you have red the above posts you can see that he has a 3-pin fan connector (read: no pwm).

Anyways you should do what he said. Get a new fanmate 2 cost practically nothing.