Zalman STG or AS5 ?

seanandnik

I decided to switch out my Zerotherm cpu cooler for a Zalman cnps9700 because I don't think I am getting adequate cooling from the Zerotherm, I also boughth a Zalman VF-900 gpu cooler to replace the stock cooler on my xfx 7900gs. My question though is this, I have a tube of Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound which I used on my Zerotherm, though the Zalman comes with Zalman super thermal grease, which is better ? i havn't heard too much about the Zalman grease, any good?

bumblebee_tuna

I don't know what its exact name is but unless the Zalman stuff you have comes in a nail polish-like bottle, I would use AS5. The only real advantage of the Zalman stuff I'm talking about is that it never sets so its really easy to remove the heatsink after a time and is easy to clean off; lower temps are a plus too but not enough to call a real advantage.

thealmightyone

I was asking for a comparison. You know, both products reviewed side by side.

Some of the people on newegg seem to get a slight improvement when using STG-1 over AS5. Someone else says a review found AS5 to be slightly better.

One of the mods here really likes STG-1 over Zalman. She preaches her love for it (at least used to).

Bradan

its 6$ more.. for arctic

STG is better, ive read up on this, i think they have t on the website

chupacabra

its 6$ more.. for arctic

STG is better, ive read up on this, i think they have t on the website

The AS5 is around 5x the amount of the STG other than that i don't see point in looking at their price, dunno about the performance of the STG

seanandnik

?

Price is really not a concern, as5 does come in a large quantity, a preloaded syringe that I have used 3 times and looks as if there is another 20 uses left. Yes, the Zalman comes in a nail polish like bottle. There are a lot of good points for using each. I have used the AS% already and think i am going to try the Zalman this time, I'll let you know how it turns out.Also stupid queestion but do i use thermal grease on a video card cooler? (i think yes)

thealmightyone

If you decide to remove/change the GPU heatsink, then yes.

But, you must spread the paste around, as the GPU core is naked, and you need it completely covered. CPU's with IHS's only need the center covered with paste, so manual spreading isn't needed.

M0ddingMan1a

both are good. one is thinner than the other (STG) and thats wat u want, a thin later between the hsd and cpu.

i've persuaded others to like STG, but its ur choice to use. it depends on how u apply it and stuff. STG has proven to lower temps a couple more degrees than AS5. but its how u apply it to get the best temp. anyways, its up to u. both are win win .