Zone Alarm question..

f-16

I acquired an old, store bought, copy of Zone Alarm Security Suite 2004 (Version 5.1) from my mom who recently passed away.

I am wondering if the firewall in this version is the same as the current version (8?).

So far, I have not had any problems with the old version.

Is the new version (8) better than 5.1?:confused:

Scott

P.S.
Please note I am using dial-up for my internet. (DON'T laugh please. I can't get high speed internet where I live).

Quiltface

I would imagine that 8 would have some feature differences in it. However since you are using dial up I would think that 5.1 would be sufficient enough for you. Since you have a lower connection speed and it isnt up 24/7 like a DSL or Cable etc... you are not as much of a target. However keep an up to date anti virus and practice safe computing and you will be fine. (see if you can do an update/upgrade on the ZA)

Sorry to hear about your mom.

f-16

Update ZA

Actually, I can't update this version of ZA. The "search for updates" button/box is grayed out and not accessible. I have only been using it for 5 months, so maybe it is not up-datable until after a year?

Scott

Quiltface

It's probably more like its too old and cant be updated anymore. Still I think for a dial up connection you are probably fine with that, it will perform the basic firewall functions and block incoming connections. If you notice a problem with your security maybe purchase the latest version or find a free software firewall for your needs.