ZoneAlarm and sp2 eventually block the net

robbb

i was using zone alarm and really liked it. then i could no longer open a web page. the same thing happens when i get service pack 2. it works for a while then won't let me get a site just a site not found page. i just turn zone alarm off and all works fine but if anyone knows how to fix it then sp2 would probably work as well if i got it again.
thanks

PC eye

banned
To install SP2 you will first need to totally disable Zone Alarm since that will interfere with the installation itself. You may have to uninstall ZA to get the service pack on. I would first totally remove ZA and install SP2 to run for a period of time to see if the same problem was seen(not likely).

I currently have the free version on where Windows Media Player will stall when it does the usual when you play a cd or video files. ZA blocks access until you check the allow on everything sometimes more then once.

robbb

i had sp2 well before i had zone alarm and it worked for a while then wouldn't let me on the net. now ZA is doing the same thing even though it ran well and worked for a week.
thanks
rob

PC eye

banned
I guess that is a little odd there. I kept a download of SP2 onhand in case of a reinstall with the first XP disk I had here. With the new build I grabbed a buy on the later release with SP2 included. I know some see problems with the service pack and simply remove it. Yet I still haven't had any problems since it first came out. You probably have something else on your system causing this to be seen. otherwise both seem to run fine with each other.

robbb

i have norton, spy sweeper and lavasoft addware. i have turned them all off and zone alarm won't let me on line no mater where i set it. i really liked it though when it worked. it showed how much stuff tries to get in. with ZA i never had any virus adware or spy ware when i did a sweep with those soft wares.

PC eye

banned
One problem I am seeing with your mention of Norton is Norton itself. That's a very intrusive software that causes a good number of problems for people when running other things. You could try uninstalling both that and ZA for a run of ZA by itself. The use of a registry before the reinstall of ZA would clean up any leftovers in there too. Spy Sweeper itself wouldn't cause this.

If you are running Norton antivirus dump it! Grisoft even has better software with their AVG 7.1 Free edition then the Symantec crap. AVG is an excellent tool and sees no conflicts with Zone Alarm or SP2. If you have never run AVG this would be a good time to try it out. You get that along with Ewido which is a good companion with AdAware. Here's the two links. You'll love them.

For AVG go to http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 and for downloading Ewido, http://free.grisoft.com/doc/ewido-anti-spyware-free/lng/us/tpl/v5 They work great and what's best about them is being Freeware!

robbb

thanks
good idea i uninsulated it and reloaded zone alarm. still didn't work so i now have comodo fired wall and avg without problems. i still would like to know why sp2 and zone alarm eventually block me from the net.