Amd Am2

CmoAMD

What is the AMD AM2 CPU's? Haven't really read about them. Are they single or dual core? They are socket 940 and not 939 right? Whats the good thing about them? How will they list them? AM2 4200, or what? Links appreciated :D

Filip

It has 940 pins but it is not called socket 940, it's socket AM2, it supports both, single and dual core, it supports DDR2 memory, you can expect AMD Athlon FX-59 socket AM2 to come out soon.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
filip-matijevic said:
It has 940 pins but it is not called socket 940, it's socket AM2, it supports both, single and dual core, it supports DDR2 memory, you can expect AMD Athlon FX-59 socket AM2 to come out soon.
There making an AMD FX-62, not the 59.

You can get either a Sempron, Athlon 64, or Athlon 64 X2 on the AM2 platform.

Filip

[-0MEGA-] said:
There making an AMD FX-62, not the 59.

You can get either a Sempron, Athlon 64, or Athlon 64 X2 on the AM2 platform.

I heard about FX-62 and FX-59 single core @ 3.0 GHz being released.

Geoff

VIP Member
filip-matijevic said:
I heard about FX-62 and FX-59 single core @ 3.0 GHz being released.
Oh wow, i only heard about the FX-62...

Do you happen to know the price of the FX-59?

CmoAMD

So its just basically a re-release of AMD products with a new socket, and they can accept DDR2 memory. Cool I guess...

CmoAMD

Is DDR2 alot better? When it gets released, will they also be selling a nice selection of motherboards coming out too? or do I just search for current 940 sockets?

Geoff

VIP Member
DDR2 is much faster, and offers more bandwidth. They will have motherboards specifically designed for AM2, since 940 is a completely different thing.

super_xero

custom pc magazines said it was a huge disapointment and that they would stick to 939 for Now untill they do sumin about it dont No much ill read teh article and post back

liquidshadow

DDR2 is not must faster for AMD right now because of their CPU architecture. (integrated memory controller)
^ Please use some periods

CmoAMD

So is it something I should get, when do they come out? I was about to get a DFI board and a X2 4400. Should I hold off and get a dual core AM2?

WeatherMan

what do you mean do you no where it is:confused: :confused: , overclockers has them comming and there are a few MSI boards on ebuyer ready in stock!

Geoff

VIP Member
way2evil said:
Its 10PM Tuesday, Do you know where AM2 Is?
When they said that they arrive today, i think they meant that there shipping them out today. So newegg may not have them for a few days.