Bad video card? What to buy?

SSMUFF

Monitor started showing signs of video corruption and now it says no dvi signal. I plugged my monitor into my docking station with same cord and it works with my laptop. So I am guessing my bfg 9800gt is bad. Am I right?

What should I buy to replace my 9800 gt? I would love to stay under $150. I only watch movies, play CSS and use the internet.

SuperDuperMe

if $150 is your max then id go for, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908

if you want to go a bit higher you could looke at the gtx 560 ti which is best bang for buck card as of yet in terms of price to performance.

EDIT: Off topic but on your sig do you mean phenom :p not pentium :D
EDIT; looking at it now a gtx 560ti would cost you $50-100 extra so id say the hd 6850 is your best bet.

Last edited:

SSMUFF

Thanks, am I right in thinking that my card went bad? Heck it is around 2-3 years old. The gfx card fan turns but both dvi ports shows nothing.

SuperDuperMe

It sounds like it, but im not an expert so it could be something else. An upgrade wont hurt and from what iv read a 6850 is a lot more powerful than a 9800, not to mention you will get all the new tech like dx11

SuperDuperMe

sapphire is a good brand, asus is another to look at.

xfx is supposed to be good but there customer service sucks apparently :p

It may be worth waiting to see what brands other members think to look at as i am no expert, or you could check reviews yourself online for sapphire for peace of mind.

( its usually bad idea to go off what one person has said so doing some research cant hurt :p)

jonnyp11

well if all you want is some cs:s and then everyday stuff then 150 is pure overkill, unless you'd like the option to do more later. But for what you want a sapphire hd5670 should be more than powerful enough for ya, can prob max the game at 1080p.

SuperDuperMe

surely if hes got a nice budget like $150, hell want to get the best for his money :p

i still say grab the hd 6850, that way if you fancy going for better games you have the option, i say pay more now rather than pay again later :p

Saying that if all you are for definate going to play is css then a 6770 or the like will surfice and be cheaper :p

And for the asus point, i like asus :D

SSMUFF

I am positive I will only play css. I would love to spend less but max was $150. I loved the 9800 gt and would hate to buy anything less in performance. Just need a card that lasts longer then 2-3 years.

SuperDuperMe

yeh go for the 6850, i presume your playing 1080, i dont think the 6770 or 5670 will do you for that res, not for CSS, i means its not particularly demanding but even so 1080 is more gpu dependant.

plus the 6850 will last a while yet.

SSMUFF

I have always built and used nvidia cards. How are the AMD cards? They seem to be less expensive and give you a great amount of bang for your buck.

Russ88765

I use a 6850, great card! I have got the chance to put it through some games(although old ones) and so far it handles many resolutions and settings beautifully. I will be testing it out on some more demanding ones soon and i'm so far optimistic.

jonnyp11

AMD cards basically own the sub-200 market, then it's the 560ti, then it goes back to mad with the 6950, then nvidia owns with the 570 and 580's, then idk who wins HD6990 v GTX590

SuperDuperMe

I agree with jonny here :p, i could not find a better card brand new in my budget than the 6850.

If you can afford a 560 ti get it no doubt, but if the most you want to spend is $150 pull the trigger on the 6850.

By the way, not sure wether it applies to US but you also get deus ex for free from a lot of places :D