Bad video card? What to buy?

SSMUFF

So it common for the dvi to go bad but yet have the card fan still run? I think I will buy the 6850 or atleast a 6 series card.

jonnyp11

well the 5 series is just as good, just most of the 6's are a little more powerful and cost a little bit more, but both still have DX11 and all. but i'd say try the other cable slots if you can just to see.

SSMUFF

Cool, I did try both dvi slots and got nothing. That is why I hooked my monitor up with the same cable to my dell work station and my laptop ran my monitor fine. That is why I assumed it was a bad video card.

SSMUFF

my board is a one slot wonder. So needing a nice card to do the work for the least amount of money. I see tiger direct still sales 9800 gt's for $50 but damn I want something that won't go bad or old on me.

wolfeking

banned
from the ones you linked, the 550ti is a better bet. It has the same number of cores as the AMD has modules and it has a higher clock rate. The only hold-back would be the bandwidth being less.

SuperDuperMe

SSMUFF

well I wussed out and went with the ASUS 6670. I couldn't get myself to spend that kind of money for something I won't use. $89 to my door so I thought it was a good deal.

SuperDuperMe

It will definitely suffice for CS:S and you general needs but you may struggle in a year or so. Still solid choice if its only going to see limited use :D

SSMUFF

Thanks, why would it struggle in a year or so? Just from lack of updates or what? I know just enough to build the computers not enough to understand all the stuff behind the scenes.

SuperDuperMe

It wont suffer with CS:S but if you fancy grabbing another game, like bf3 or cod 6,000,000 or w.e then it could start to struggle on anything other than low.

If all you intend to do is light gaming you should be good.

Really depends on what youll be doing with it in the year/years coming :p But from the look of ebay they generally sell used quite close to retail prices so you should be good to sell up and move on :p

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Thanks, am I right in thinking that my card went bad? Heck it is around 2-3 years old. The gfx card fan turns but both dvi ports shows nothing.

Only 3 years old and it died already?
Mine is 7 years old and it still works perfectly.I just changed the thermal paste on it few hours ago.The old thermal paste was so damn dry that it took me only 30 seconds to take it off lol.Now after 7 years of using the same thermal paste I think she has done her job.I did try a game Doom 3 on old paste today before I replaced it and it works pretty good.But now when I put the new and better thermal paste,games work even better.Not a lot of course,but a little better.

The only thing is that my 7 years old graphic card does not support pixel shader above version 2.0 so I cannot play the newest games,but that's ok since there are TONS of games made for pixel shader 1.0,1.1 and especially 2.0 so until I play all the good games made for shader 2.0,it will take few more years lol :p

Hopefully the graphic card I have will work for the next few years :p It would be cool if it reaches 10 years ^^ Well...3 more years left...let's hope it will survive 3 more years ^^

Cheers!

SSMUFF

well I thought it should have lasted longer but oh well. I hope the new card fixes it otherwise I am not sure what it is. No way of telling if the MB or anything is bad at this point. Like I said before the only reason I thought it was the gfx card was that the monitor works with my Dell laptop. Before it died the computer would load but then the screen would go all crazy and then it looked to freeze up. Then after a few times of re-booting the monitor said no dvi signal. So that is how I ended up thinking it was my gfx card.