Computer no post

ANNR

My computer was working fine until I changed the computer case (the original case got squashed during shipping). I left the motherboard on the floor when I was switching case. I think something must have happen because now my computer will not show anything on screen when started. The lights on the mobo lights and fan works.

I took the com battery out and was able to start the computer but windows froze after just few seconds. This happen couple times and now it does not start anymore.

I have tried different known working video card and the results are the same. I also tried two different power supply and the results were the same.

Can someone help me do more diagnose?

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Wood shouldn't have done anything to the motherboard. Have you tried building the motherboard outside of the case? there may be a short somewhere.

ANNR

I just tried to boot the pc by taking out the Mobo but no luck, still no post, can't even get into bios.

Yes, all the standoffs are in place.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Sure you have the CPU 4/8 power connector plugged in? Or the Video Cards pcie power connector plugged in/

ANNR

I will give it a try
ya, my mobo has a 4 connector but my powersupply only has 8 power connector (2, 4 power connector side by side) could that be the problem?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The 8pin connector should break apart into 2 - 4 pin connectors. Only one of the 4 pin connectors will go in it.

ANNR

Just installed the new mobo and everything is up and running again. Best thing of all, I didn't even have to reinstall windows even though the mobo were different brand!

Darren

Staff member
Just installed the new mobo and everything is up and running again. Best thing of all, I didn't even have to reinstall windows even though the mobo were different brand!

It might tell you your license is expired/revoked in the next few days.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have an OEM or retail license of the OS? If retail, then you can reactivate. If OEM, then you'll need a new copy of windows. However, you may be able to call the activation number and tell them the motherboard went bad and they can activate it for you.