POST black screen, error B2

hirobo2

Now wait a minute on the MSI mobo's web page:

http://msi.com/product/motherboard/B75A-G43.html#hero-overview

M-Flash

Compared to common motherboard which need extra BIOS chips, MSI’s M-Flash has a double advantage which doesn’t need extra components and secondly, all your BIOS data will be saved in the USB drive. The stored data does not only have backup and upgrade function, moreover it can also be seen as a portable BIOS chip which is actually able to boot up your PC.

Features
- Backup/Restore Your BIOS to/from Any USB Flash Disk
- Avoid Unnecessary Repair Due to Accident Failures During The Upgrading Process
- Earn more BIOS Lifespan by Reducing Unnecessary Rewriting Process

Has anyone tried it, using a USB flash drive as a BIOS replacement? Is there a remote chance I could rescue the mobo by using a pen drive as an alternate BIOS chip? Will the system even attempt to load the BIOS from the USB drive in such a state?

It seems my problem could be solved if I could reflash the BIOS...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone tried it, using a USB flash drive as a BIOS replacement? Is there a remote chance I could rescue the mobo by using a pen drive as an alternate BIOS chip? Will the system even attempt to load the BIOS from the USB drive in such a state?

Unfortunately, you would have had to make a backup of the bios beforehand.

hirobo2

OMG this is retarded. After much digging within the MSI forum, I got my mobo working again. It seems a lot of ppl had the black screen when they did a BIOS update. The solution for MSI mobos is as follows:

1. Unplug all cables connecting to the mobo except the power cable from the PSU.
2. Move memory modules to DIMM3 and DIMM4. (This was the step that made all the difference for me, the factory installed my memories at DIMM1 and DIMM3. This move somehow breaks the loop that causes the BIOS to display a black screen on every boot).
3. Reset CMOS either by jumper or pulling out CMOS battery.

Voila, my BIOS is back to default settings and my PC works again!

And btw, I wouldn't reflash the BIOS. The BIOS isn't like a regular OS update. It isn't something you mess with unless you absolutely have to...

Last edited: