Geek Squad

bumblebee_tuna

OMG, my second interview went horrible...... First, I went at the time they told me to come, and found out the guy who was interviewing me was in a meeting so they told me to come back later.... I came back the time the told me to and I found out the guy went to go get dinner wouldn't be back for another 15 mins. Finally, after takin his sweet ass time, he comes back and does the interview.... (didn't bother to appoligize for making me wait.....) Then during the interview, while he's making me sign some stuff, he goes and makes a phone call. He then starts asking me some computer questions....

Mike (Interviewer): So, tell me, how many ID devices are supported on a normal computer?

Me (interviewee): ...... .....Honestly I don't know...... (Realize later he was talking about IDE devices in which I know is four... [Two masters and one slave for each master....])

Mike: So how would you explain a bad sector on a hard drive to your grandma?

Me: ....... (And then I pull some BS I pull out of my ass......)

Man..... It could have gone so much better......

So, here's a question for you guys..... How would YOU explain a bad sector on a hard drive to YOUR grandma?

bball4life

So, here's a question for you guys..... How would YOU explain a bad sector on a hard drive to YOUR grandma?
Tell her its like a piece of bread that is getting moldy. Only part of the bread is moldy but the rest of it is fine. However you are still better getting of a new piece of bread and backing up your butter onto the new one. :p

goosy22

Tell her its like a piece of bread that is getting moldy. Only part of the bread is moldy but the rest of it is fine. However you are still better getting of a new piece of bread and backing up your butter onto the new one. :p

haha... that's funny and is also a pretty good interpretation of it...

bball4life

ROFL, give the interviewer a little chuckle and yet pretty accurately describe the problem. Looking back at it, it really does explain it pretty basically. Its ok with most of the people on the geek squad you probably still have a good chance. If you don't get the job, its for the better ;) .

tlarkin

VIP Member
I work IT for a living, and this past year I have become my own independent technology contractor on the side. I do good work at a good price for consumers at home and for businesses. I have cleaned up some "messes" left from the Geek squad. I know it was them too because I have one of their CDs that they left in the clients computer.

I am not going to bash anyone on the Geeksquad, it would be a really nice entry level position for someone young wanting to get into the field of technology. You have to start somewhere and get experience, you can't land an administrator or high level NOC job off the bat. You have to work your way up.

When I was 16 or so I applied at best buy to be a computer tech. Back then they had their own upgrade and repair center in the store. I took their test, and aced it. It was very simple. Like how many devices can a standard SCSI controller handle? Things that wouldn't prove or disprove you can actually fix things. Anyways, I quit almost immediately because they only wanted to pay me 6.50/hr and office depot paid around 8 dollars an hour for a copy center person. So, I went to office depot and got the higher wage, plus I never really liked going to best buy.

Another thing, you can't judge someone's ability by hardware knowledge alone. You people on this forum tend to thing someone's knowledge is their awarness of the newest technologies. When I spend weeks setting up and configuring linux servers I don't bother to read about the latest processor architecture or the latest GPU. I could care less. Sales people need to know that stuff to sell to their customers. I do not keep up with technology that much anymore. Hardware is developed at such a fast rate these days I can't keep up with it and still research other things needed for work. This is the impression I get from reading some of your guys posts.

For explaining non tech savy people things it is good to use analogies of something they may know about. You can use cars for maintence on computers, like oil changes, brake pads, fluid flush, etc. You can use road work for software related problems. Patching up pot holes is an easy and quick fix, however at some point in time you are going to have so many filled pot holes you will need to lay down all new pavement. For hardware problems you can basically use any kind of statement about how things break. I typically use something like, "Well, these things sometimes just break which is why they come with a warranty, and if they were perfect I wouldn't have a job." Most of the time people understand.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
ok well this was my recent experience

i was looking at a laptop in best buy, it had a built in card which would allow you to connect wirelessly to the internet via cellular service (really wich i could remember what this was called and i feel stupid because i can't)

anyway, i asked how well those things actually perform for web browsing and he said that as long as you had the little antinna on the outside like that you could run faster than the fastest FIOS.

I was blown away that would mean that it would run faster than 30 megibits, (the fastest that i know of in my area).

I couldn't believe he was telling me this so a few days later i went to another best buy store and casually mentioned to a sales rep that someone had told me that you could get speeds faster than fios as long as you had that antinna. This sales rep knew a little bit more about what he was talking about but had his terminology mixed up. He said that in urban areas you can get about 1.5 megabytes per second and in rural area's you'll slow down. I knew he meant 1.5 megabits an easy mistake but i'd much rather have a 1.5 megabyte per second connection speed than 1.5 megabit per second connection speed.