Geeksquad

Fatback

VIP Member
I already suggested that but the OP says it is not over heating. That was my 1st guess.

I'm almost positive heat is not the problem since I put the CPU cooler on there plus I installed extra fans the temps where always good so I don't think that is the problem. Yes the thermal past is on there right I have put a lot of CPU coolers on so I know how to apply thermal past.

tremmor

I don't know if this is mentioned either, but i will say it. Im not knowledgeable about the things like hardware. my thought is or did you do a low level format? I would think for sure that would eliminate there excuses at best buy. you tried many disk. they said its software related. to me this would be the last big gun before the final fight. its hardware related.

good luck.
I would be hot also.

Fatback

VIP Member
you dont have a spare motherboard and hard drive around your shop to try out?

Hard drive probably motherboard no we have a lot of older motherboard like for P3 and P4 or socket 939 I need one that will support a Intel centrino 2.0GHz. I don't have any at the shop but I cold probably find one pretty cheap if I had to.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I highly doubt its software related, its definately hardware in my opinion. When you get it back, its gonna do the same thing I bet. It has to be overheating somewhere, a short, or you have a bad motherboard.

Fatback

VIP Member
I highly doubt its software related, its definately hardware in my opinion. When you get it back, its gonna do the same thing I bet. It has to be overheating somewhere, a short, or you have a bad motherboard.

Same here I just don't see how it can be software related when after putting 3 different OS on it was still doing the same thing. If it does do the same thing when I get it back then I will take it back get my money back for the repair and the warranty that I paid for and take the $200 and build her a new computer.

Dystopia

truth is that the geeksquad are not "geeky". I could probably solve most problems faster/cheaper than they. They once told me I could put a video card that was almost a thick as the laptop itself into my laptop. PLUS i had it open there wasn't room, AND wtf would the heat go? Id kill the laptop. Also, they told my dad, more than once, different stores even, that he would need a $300 router to take one of those laptop connect cards and get the signal to be wireless for all the other computers at the same time, when all you really need is a $20 router and a $10 cable, and some patience. I wouldn't trust the geeksquad for sh*t, sorry for the language.

Fatback

VIP Member
truth is that the geeksquad are not "geeky". I could probably solve most problems faster/cheaper than they. They once told me I could put a video card that was almost a thick as the laptop itself into my laptop. PLUS i had it open there wasn't room, AND wtf would the heat go? Id kill the laptop. Also, they told my dad, more than once, different stores even, that he would need a $300 router to take one of those laptop connect cards and get the signal to be wireless for all the other computers at the same time, when all you really need is a $20 router and a $10 cable, and some patience. I wouldn't trust the geeksquad for sh*t, sorry for the language.

Same here I will never take anything to them again I will probably just end up taking it back anyways but we will see what happens.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
And not to start a fight or anything but Tlarkin is right. What you are doing with all those copies of windows is Illegal. I really don't think the owner likes to waste money with what you are doing. Now, all those copies you used, need to be thrown away.

Fatback

VIP Member
And not to start a fight or anything but Tlarkin is right. What you are doing with all those copies of windows is Illegal. I really don't think the owner likes to waste money with what you are doing. Now, all those copies you used, need to be thrown away.

I'm the owner of them I paid for them with the money I made from my shop but I think what he is saying they are supposed to be used for business purpose only. I don't know but I do know that each of the disks I got cost around $3000 that really nothing the guy that owns the shop is rich and has known me since I was born I used to be my grandpa best friend that how I got the job. I have already talked to him about taking stuff from the shop it told me to take what ever I needed as long as I tell him first. Just so you know he just made me co-owner about 3 months ago which gave me a big pay raise.

tlarkin

VIP Member

Well if they buy a small business site license then they get to install it on x amount of computers that it allows for. I know we paid like 80k a year or something ridiculous for our MSDN site license subscription at my old job. I have no idea our Windows licensing at my current job as I don't manage the Windows boxes.

It only hurts if you get audited though.

konsole

The few experiences I have had with geeksquad werent too bad. Not the most knowledgable computer techs out there but I find that they know a good amount. I find that there not a bad place to turn to if you are good with computers but need a little extra info on something. These guys didnt complete a Masters degree to become a computer tech so I think its only right to think that ya they should know alot but not all there is to know about computers. What may be happening is with the 4-5 guys they have on staff maybe 1 or 2 are the elite geeks and the others are just knowledgable helpers.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The few experiences I have had with geeksquad werent too bad. Not the most knowledgable computer techs out there but I find that they know a good amount. I find that there not a bad place to turn to if you are good with computers but need a little extra info on something. These guys didnt complete a Masters degree to become a computer tech so I think its only right to think that ya they should know alot but not all there is to know about computers. What may be happening is with the 4-5 guys they have on staff maybe 1 or 2 are the elite geeks and the others are just knowledgable helpers.

The prices they charge are overwhelming. Over $200 to remove malware? Come on now....

Dystopia

I sorta agree with you konsole, but a lot of them seem preety stupid. I would much rather go here then talk to them. Most big posters here are smarter, IMO

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That is crazy I would do that for $25

Me too. I'm too cheap, I know that. But If I spend about an hour removing malware, I'll charge $25. Working on computers is my third job. I don't want to rape anybody, want to be cheap and great service and I'll get repeat business by word of mouth advertising.

Fatback

VIP Member
Me too. I'm too cheap, I know that. But If I spend about an hour removing malware, I'll charge $25. Working on computers is my third job. I don't want to rape anybody, want to be cheap and great service and I'll get repeat business by word of mouth advertising.

That is exactly they way I think about it the cheaper the price the more business you will get.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Why pay Jiffy Lube $50 for an oil change when you can do it yourself for $8?

I've always done my own oil changes. It might change now that my back is getting worse though. I've done my own brakes when I can, just to save money.