Geeksquad

bomberboysk

truth is that the geeksquad are not "geeky". I could probably solve most problems faster/cheaper than they. They once told me I could put a video card that was almost a thick as the laptop itself into my laptop. PLUS i had it open there wasn't room, AND wtf would the heat go? Id kill the laptop. Also, they told my dad, more than once, different stores even, that he would need a $300 router to take one of those laptop connect cards and get the signal to be wireless for all the other computers at the same time, when all you really need is a $20 router and a $10 cable, and some patience. I wouldn't trust the geeksquad for sh*t, sorry for the language.
Depends who you deal with tbh, im going to refrain from my relative hatred of geek squad though since i may be getting a job there hehe.

To the OP, have you checked the case and made sure someone didnt screw up when they built it and forgot a standoff or something? Id take it completely down and check everything, although it could be a motherboard issue. If you are constantly getting corrupted files, it could be a faulty IDE or SATA controller on the motherboard.

konsole

The prices they charge are overwhelming. Over $200 to remove malware? Come on now....

ya the prices they charge is another story. Even for something that you would like to be just considerate help, and free or really cheap, like taking a quick look at something or just testing to see if a video card or processor is dead.

tlarkin

VIP Member
ya the prices they charge is another story. Even for something that you would like to be just considerate help, and free or really cheap, like taking a quick look at something or just testing to see if a video card or processor is dead.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Technically all the free advice I give out online I could easily and justifiably charge for. On my website I have a "buy me a beer" link that you can donate money to me if you wish. Out of all the emails I get thanking me for my help, I have only had two people ever paypal me a few bucks so I could go buy myself a sixer.

It costs me my time and my money to host my site.

I am not saying I don't enjoy doing it, otherwise I wouldn't give it out for free. However, you must realize everything costs money and when you spend money you are putting that money in other people's pockets so they can spend it where you work and put it back in your pocket.

Fatback

VIP Member
Depends who you deal with tbh, im going to refrain from my relative hatred of geek squad though since i may be getting a job there hehe.

To the OP, have you checked the case and made sure someone didnt screw up when they built it and forgot a standoff or something? Id take it completely down and check everything, although it could be a motherboard issue. If you are constantly getting corrupted files, it could be a faulty IDE or SATA controller on the motherboard.

No I never removed the motherboard so I'm not sure about the stand offs but if it was the case why would it happen all of the sudden the computer has been sitting there in the same spot for 11 months never moved expect for the few times I have went over there to clean the dust out of it. I am almost certain it is the motherboard because like other have said a bad HDD will not make the computer shut down at least not from my known experience. If it is the SATA controller is there a way I could test that.

bomberboysk

No I never removed the motherboard so I'm not sure about the stand offs but if it was the case why would it happen all of the sudden the computer has been sitting there in the same spot for 11 months never moved expect for the few times I have went over there to clean the dust out of it. I am almost certain it is the motherboard because like other have said a bad HDD will not make the computer shut down at least not from my known experience. If it is the SATA controller is there a way I could test that.
Swapping the hard drive perhaps.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. Technically all the free advice I give out online I could easily and justifiably charge for. On my website I have a "buy me a beer" link that you can donate money to me if you wish. Out of all the emails I get thanking me for my help, I have only had two people ever paypal me a few bucks so I could go buy myself a sixer.

It costs me my time and my money to host my site.

I am not saying I don't enjoy doing it, otherwise I wouldn't give it out for free. However, you must realize everything costs money and when you spend money you are putting that money in other people's pockets so they can spend it where you work and put it back in your pocket.
Its kind of in a hard place to find, i checked your website looking for it and took me a couple of minutes just to find that link:p (Sidebar buttons work better;))

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member

eMachines isn't known for using quality parts that motherboard was probably the cheapest thing they could get mass produced and shipped to them. I have seen many cheap systems in the past "flex" when heated up and actually expand and touch metal parts of the case and ground out. I kid you not. One really ghetto computer model back in 1999 I had to put a sheet of mylar (and the mylar was provided by the manufacturer) between the board and the case and punch holes through it for the stand offs.

Your problem is most likely hardware failure I am almost sure of it.

Fatback

VIP Member
eMachines isn't known for using quality parts that motherboard was probably the cheapest thing they could get mass produced and shipped to them. I have seen many cheap systems in the past "flex" when heated up and actually expand and touch metal parts of the case and ground out. I kid you not. One really ghetto computer model back in 1999 I had to put a sheet of mylar (and the mylar was provided by the manufacturer) between the board and the case and punch holes through it for the stand offs.

I have actually heard about that but never knew if it could really happen I wouldn't think newer motherboards could get that hot. The motherboard was a Foxconn but I don't remember the model.

bomberboysk

+1, eMachines has always used the cheapest stuff they could, and even were still using IDE hard drives and Optical drives far after every other OEM was using sata.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I have actually heard about that but never knew if it could really happen I wouldn't think newer motherboards could get that hot. The motherboard was a Foxconn but I don't remember the model.

It is all about the money, HP uses Asus motherboards in some of their consumer systems but I wouldn't even begin to compare them to the ones that Asus make for sale on the retail side. It could also be due to crappy case design or bad air flow.

+1, eMachines has always used the cheapest stuff they could, and even were still using IDE hard drives and Optical drives far after every other OEM was using sata.

I remember when they tried making gaming rigs. They would toss together the cheapest pile of parts, and then slap a decent GPU in the machine and sell the whole thing for about $150 more than the actual GPU costs to buy retail.