Going to Windows 7

linkin

VIP Member
I'm going to upgrade to windows 7 when i can. Should i go with 64-bit? I really don't want to switch if my hardware won't work. I'll be getting more RAM and maybe a new GPU at christmas time, so i think 64-bit is worth it.

Are there any games that are incompatible with 64-bit?

I play:

CS:S
Garry's Mod
Hitman Blood Money
Sim City 4
GTA IV
Far Cry 2
Crysis/Warhead
CoD4
GRID

Will there be any issues with these games?

Bodaggit23

Best to create a partition and make sure before switching completely.

That removes all the guess work, because one game might work on
one system and not on another.

Most games if not 64bit compatible, will install in 32bit mode.

linkin

VIP Member
Okay. I'm pretty sure GTA4, gmod and css will work. along with crysis because they all have 64 bit support. I could always get an upgrade version and keep my programs and settings i guess.

Buzz1927

Digaredd
Okay. I'm pretty sure GTA4, gmod and css will work. along with crysis because they all have 64 bit support. I could always get an upgrade version and keep my programs and settings i guess.
Whatever, just don't ask me to get it for you!

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm going to upgrade to windows 7 when i can. Should i go with 64-bit? I really don't want to switch if my hardware won't work. I'll be getting more RAM and maybe a new GPU at christmas time, so i think 64-bit is worth it.

Are there any games that are incompatible with 64-bit?

I play:

CS:S
Garry's Mod
Hitman Blood Money
Sim City 4
GTA IV
Far Cry 2
Crysis/Warhead
CoD4
GRID

Right i know all of those games will work,i have them!,Exept for the ones ive put in bold...Garrys mod should work if CSS works.

As for the question,should you go 64 bit....yes,alot of newer games are optimised for x64,GTA IV been one of them...even though when you check in task manager its running in 32 bit,I still gained performance in GTA IV on x64bit 7 over 32 bit.

And you said your getting more ram?...you dont want to be stuck at 3.25gb limit or whatever it is with 32 bit.

Last edited:

robina_80

ive got 64 bit windows 7 home pre and i can run all my progroms fine, plus if your using more than 3gig of ram I would DEF get it as 32bit only supports up to 3.2gb

Aastii

VIP Member
Right i know all of those games will work,i have them!,Exept for the ones ive put in bold...Garrys mod should work if CSS works.

As for the question,should you go 64 bit....yes,alot of newer games are optimised for x64,GTA IV been one of them...even though when you check in task manager its running in 32 bit,I still gained performance in GTA IV on x64bit 7 over 32 bit.

And you said your getting more ram?...you dont want to be stuck at 3.25gb limit or whatever it is with 32 bit.

I have gmod and it works a-ok, so that is another you can take off the list, just hitman not too sure on :)

You'll pay over the odds whatever! :p

I can get 7 professional for £30 and I can get Office ultimate (the one that is worth just over £460) for £40 :p

Matthew1990

I got my Win7 from MSDN for free, I can get XP, Vistas and all that, including Win7 32Bit because I am currently using 64bit. I was looking for Office but they don't do it :/

Aastii

VIP Member
I got my Win7 from MSDN for free, I can get XP, Vistas and all that, including Win7 32Bit because I am currently using 64bit. I was looking for Office but they don't do it :/

I already have office ultimate, Will end up giving it to my sister next year when I build her new system for her, that is if she decides for certain net year that she wants one built, it was meant to be this year and I was going to get a new graphics card out of it, but she changed her mind :mad:

linkin

VIP Member
I've taken a look at that comparison chart, and all the options that ultimate and pro have over the others seem like useless junk. I don't even know why i bought vista ultimate.

Jarviskhel

Windows 7 and Vista have the same core. They didn't drastically change the guts between the two. Vista was a huge step from XP on the inside and that's why there is so many compatibility issues, but if something works on Windows 7 then it should work on Vista.

linkin

VIP Member
One more question: how much does a windows 7 install take from the HDD? Vista took almost double than XP