Hard Drive on the way out?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is this the system in your signature? If so, you are only running 3gb of ram which is not ideal. I have seen to where avast will use a lot of the disk usage at times. So it still like this after say 30 minutes after bootup? Could be a corrupt Avast. You should see high disk usage right after a bootup for a few minutes while everything is being loaded and checking for updates and stuff.

JLuchinski

Yeah it's the system in my sig. I've never seen the memory hit 100%, I would upgrade my ram but unfortunately my motherboard really sucks, I've tried three different kinds of ram and it just keeps rebooting at startup when I install it. Maybe I'll try a different anti-virus.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Also, that searchUI process belongs to Cortana which is using more ram then Avast at that time and about the same cpu usage. Might want to look into that as well.

JLuchinski

No that didn't help, I managed to kill the process but the disk issue still remains. And I can't search for anything. Ugh.

JLuchinski

Hmm, after disabling Cortana and doing a system restart my disk usage still jumps to 100% but it's running a lot faster.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is Avast still listed as highest usage? I've had to uninstall and reinstall it on a few clients systems to get it to act right.

JLuchinski

No Avast service just kind of hovers around 0.01 MBPS while in idle, I can't believe how much faster my system is running now.

JLuchinski

WTF, now tasks and service hosts are going nuts, turning on and off keeping my disk at 100% all the time. Avast and Malware bytes are coming back with nothing. F*)( this computer. EDIT: NM, Windows update was stuck because my computer kept going to sleep, Windows 10 is tricky.

Last edited:

JaredDM

I think you may be just misinterpreting what that number means. It does not mean the drive is running at 100% of it's speed. It's just a measure of the percent of time the drive is active to some level. In Windows 8 and 10, it's totally normal to see that number jump to 100% all the time. Even with an NVMe SSD 10x faster than a HDD, you'll see the same thing. Unless you are experiencing other performance issues, I'd just ignore it.

JLuchinski

I am experiencing system hang ups, sometimes it takes almost a minute to open up firefox. When it hits and stays at 100% I can't do anything.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
In Windows 8 and 10, it's totally normal to see that number jump to 100% all the time.
Drive usage is not normal to be pegged at 100 percent all the time. Maybe at bootup for a few minutes while things are finishing up booting and updates are being checked for, etc.
I am experiencing system hang ups, sometimes it takes almost a minute to open up firefox. When it hits and stays at 100% I can't do anything.

Have you scanned for malware? Not sure if you have already said this or not. But have you ran adwcleaner and junkware removal tool?

JaredDM

Drive usage is not normal to be pegged at 100 percent all the time.
I said "jump to 100% all the time" not stay at 100%. Usually, it's intermittent, but I've seen plenty of systems where everything was operating just fine and it'd jump to 100% stay there for 30 seconds or so and then drop back down. Then do it again in a few minutes. It's usually just from some background processes such as AV running. But, if it's staying there all the time that's a problem.

In that case I'd say you do have a problem. What is the specific HDD model? There are some that are prone to firmware glitches that will make them slower and slower until they totally stop.

JaredDM

Well, most WD Blue drives are prone the the "slow responding" bug. However, it generally only develops after they start developing bad sectors. I'd start by checking the S.M.A.R.T. readout on the drive and see if it shows any re-allocated or pending sectors.