My i7 at 3.6ghz bottlenecked me!

jgoff14

I was playing sc2 with a MASSIVE battle going on. I got down to 10fps, and thought 'wow, I can't believe my gtx 580s are boggin down' then I looked at the gpu usage to find that gpu 1 was at 39% and gpu 2 was at 26%. I checked my cpu, and yep it was the cause! Looks like its time to get a 990x and bump it up a TON. lol

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What process was causing it to max out? How many processes do you have running?

ktec

I was playing sc2 with a MASSIVE battle going on. I got down to 10fps, and thought 'wow, I can't believe my gtx 580s are boggin down' then I looked at the gpu usage to find that gpu 1 was at 39% and gpu 2 was at 26%. I checked my cpu, and yep it was the cause! Looks like its time to get a 990x and bump it up a TON. lol

So you made this thread to tell us you are going to buy a $1000 processor for no reason?
Completely unnecessary for Starcraft or any game.

2048Megabytes

He has his processor overclocked already over a Core i7 970. Getting the Core i7 970 would make little or no difference in processing power.

If a desktop i7 Quad-Core Processor cannot handle a video game I would simply suggest turning down the settings in the video game. Spending $1,000 on a processor for gaming is just non-sense to me. But I also don't have money to burn.

In one year that $1,000 Intel processor will likely cost $500 or less.

jonnyp11

not too familiar with this stuff, but i have problems with my crappy cpu and gpu, more gpu than cpu, but i found that my computer will double gaming ability by hitting ctrl+alt+del, going to processes, finding the game in the list, and set the games priority to high or with that cpu you could go realtime, it has helped me many times and made games playable for me, and you could tell it to use all the cores with the affinity if that would help, if this is a bad idea then someone post that but otherwise it should help.

2048Megabytes

Not too familiar with this stuff, but i have problems with my crappy cpu and gpu, more gpu than cpu, but i found that my computer will double gaming ability by hitting ctrl+alt+delete, going to processes, finding the game in the list, and set the games priority to high or with that cpu you could go realtime, it has helped me many times and made games playable for me, and you could tell it to use all the cores with the affinity if that would help, if this is a bad idea then someone post that but otherwise it should help.

I have never heard of this before that I can remember. Is this an option only available in Windows 7? How do you arrange some processes to have more priority over others in Task Manager?

jonnyp11

no, i use it on my 7 and xp comps., and by default all processes are on normal priority, open task manager and right click on an app, then select go to process, then right click on that process and at the bottom or middle will be both the priority and affinity(usable cores) for the program. try it out and see if it changes anything, because i use an integrated card and a pentium i get lag between moving the mouse and it showing i did and this helps me alot and in mmo's like rift and wow it helped a lot too, so in theory, or at least mine, it should help and it can't hurt. well i don't think it can.

and i do agry on 1000 for a cpu being a waste unless you're doing super heavy programs that are threaded or whatever it's called for multiple cores and a lot of them, if i had 5k for a build i'd get a 2600k, those cores won't help as much as sandybridge, benches on anandtech show the i5 2400 beating that in most catagories.

and 1 time i oc'd from my pentiums 200x11 to 230x11 and it seemed fine for eny and everything, till i played a game and it was moving weird, so i lowered it to 226 and it was fine, so try lowering it a little aand see what happens

Last edited:

rawcomputers

youve got something else going on, a phenom quad can deal with sc2 no prob, your i7 is not the problem

you will likely have no better result from the 990x

jonnyp11

this maw be a waste, but have you updated and/or reinstalled your dirivers, can't hurt.

and you could just have a bad chip, all chips oc different and yours could be funky, check its stability and everything.

gates

I would update firmware / drivers / check for bugs. Also I have a i7-950 @ 4.2ghz and had 2 gtx 570's in SLI never once came close to the chance of getting bottle necked.

mihir

VIP Member
There is a problem in the Software and not in the hardware.
I would suggest running Hijackthis and Malware Bytes Anti Malware and posting the logs here.

jgoff14

Thanks for the tips, I will get on it as soon as I get back on that comp. I am a little busy to do it right now. Thanks all.

jonnyp11

try a benchmark that pushes your system and see if it bottlenecks on it, then you'll know if it's something with the software of the cards, or is it possible that you somehow corrupted something that is causing this in the game, idk, just trying ideas. maybe try the system out with crysis and see how high it will go, god i wish i had a comp. like yours to try that out, i can barely play it on the lowest settings with nvidia system tools disabling everything that will slow it down, on 800x600, and it lags from mouse movement to screen, even after i up the priority, again, not as much, but it still does it.

Last edited:

Perkomate

or if you really want to be sure it's not the processor, even if it's not, go out and get a 2500K and a new mobo.

mihir

VIP Member
or if you really want to be sure it's not the processor, even if it's not, go out and get a 2500K and a new mobo.

The i7 920 needs no upgrading as of now.
He has a software problem not a hardware one.
His CPU possibly cannot be bottlenecking.