(News) Stained Windows! Microsoft to mark illegal copies

suprasteve

I get copies free through my university, last semester I got XP iso, XP SP1a iso, XP SP2 iso, xp x64 iso, XP SP2 on disk and x64 on disk (the last two were like $10 for shipping, all the others were free downloads). And that's just the XP's, there's 2k3, 2000, and lots of things like visual studio and whatever else, no vista though

SFR

Truth fears no questions
liuliuboy said:
lol how did you get your hands on this free legal version?

There are many developer clubs that are Microsoft Partners... I recently got Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition for $15... The college I go to is also a Microsoft Partner and last year I was able to get VS .NET 2003 for $8 and XP Pro from $10....

M0ddingMan1a

well my relatives friend works for microsoft. so he got me the copy for 15 bucks. and my relative payed for it. so i got it for free. lol

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
does nobody remeber the whole WGA system that they implemetned like 4 months ago. Woo thatorlked so well, cos ther isnt 10,000 cracks all over the web to simply turn iut off. When was the first oine released, oh was it like 3 days after MS implemented it.... wow go MS

What makes you think that this new one is gonna be any different... Put it this way, im not worried.

dragon

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Heya

Well I know that my friend, who has by now bought the genuine copy of WXP Pro SP2, has experienced that problem about three times. His desktop was branded and could not be changed. Some features were slowed down according to him and it really bugged him (not surprisingly).

JAN :D

JamesBart

it doesnt seem that they are trying to openly accuse people of getting a copy, if you dont get a new copy will they fine you? anyone know? am cool! hahaha :D and windows updates are they even worth it?

mrjack

VIP Member
Basically you just get a pop-up which keeps telling you from time to time that you are running an illegal copy of Windows, that is if you are running an illegal copy.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
mrjack said:
Basically you just get a pop-up which keeps telling you from time to time that you are running an illegal copy of Windows, that is if you are running an illegal copy.
its a bit more than that, a permantent "tatoo" on the logn screen is stamped there, saying its not genuien, you get the popup box at logon aswell, and possibly in windows too, theres also the balloon thing in the right hand corner that dispalys that its not genuine.

But it doesnt matter, it will last a max of a week before people like devils0wn are onto it....

dragon

lee101

VIP Member
<sigh>
i am sure that if the prices were more reasonable for copies of XP there would be less people running illegal copies, in the UK it's almost £60 - http://ebuyer.co.uk/customer/products/index.html?rb=18599298938&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=97548
which I think is just ridiculously expensive, considering linux is probably just as good, if not better and free, for the £60 spent on an operating system I coudl probably get a gig of cheapy ram, that copy of osx86 sitting by me on my desk is looking more and more like it will go onto my desktop, I can't see why ms keep on with all this anti piracy crap, no matter what they do there are always some people that will try, and usually succeed to get past it, it's making there jobs harder but they will still do it

oh, and does this affect the volume lisencing versions?

Lee

Dngrsone

VIP Member
dragon2309 said:
But it doesnt matter, it will last a max of a week before people like devils0wn are onto it....

According to information I have recieved, the existing workarounds still work and it's a non-issue.

magicman

VIP Member
Dngrsone said:
dragon2309 said:
According to information I have recieved, the existing workarounds still work and it's a non-issue.
This has now crossed over into the territory of discussing cracks. Consider this your warning.

ElmoBro23

(Sorry If I'm A Little Harsh, But its gotta be said, this thread is a little biased) Im using linux, but in my opinon you're a complete dumbass if your paying those over-priced costs for an inferior, and overrated operating system like Windows. I cant believe you people with "legit" versions of Windows all of a sudden feel like your so superior to the ones who are smart enough not to pay microsoft for the crap that they're offering. You need to get your heads out of your asses and realize whats truly going on. Its all about money. You're not saving the world, or ending world hunger and global warming. Your not performing a duty to society by going to a store and purchsing Windows. They've got you wrapped around their fingers with this feeling of loyalty, Like you're suddenly apart of the Microsoft family by legally paying for their products. The truth is, unless you have thousands of shares in Microsoft's Corporate stock, YOU mean ABSOLUTLY NOTHING to them, the only thing of interest that they see is your wallet. So come on guys, step back into reality for second, and consider the facts, before you start ripping on the people who are smart enough to see what's truly going on. And sure, I agree that using software that you didn't pay for is COMPLETELY WRONG, but in this case dont you think it's a bit justified, considering this monopolistic strangle-hold that Microsoft has created over the entire Industry, you've gotta fight fire with fire.:confused: :confused:

Last edited:

OvenMaster

VIP Member
I have zero objection to paying for something if it's necessary. I consider Windows necessary. Without it, my computer won't boot. That said, I also look for the lowest price possible.
If someone's smart enough to run a box with Linux on it AND get it to do all they need and want to do, more power to 'em. I'm not. I need a pc that runs with a minimum of hassles, has an OS that is widely supported, and has a wide range of software available, and XP gives it to me for relatively cheap. I don't feel superior for buying Windows. I feel superior to thieves. My conscience is clear.
ElmoBro23 said:
And sure, I agree that using software that you didn't pay for is COMPLETELY WRONG, but in this case dont you think it's a bit justified, considering this monopolistic strangle-hold that Microsoft has created over the entire Industry, you've gotta fight fire with fire.
No. Theft is theft no matter how you slice it. If you can't afford something, you don't steal it, you either do without or find an alternative. For many, Linux is that alternative. My option was sifting through ads until I found a price I was happy to pay for a copy of XP.

Tom

Last edited:

Bobo

banned
OvenMaster said:
If someone's smart enough to run a box with Linux on it AND get it to do all they need and want to do, more power to 'em. I'm not. I need a pc that runs with a minimum of hassles, has an OS that is widely supported, and has a wide range of software available, and XP gives it to me for relatively cheap.
That is why everybody chooses Windows over Linux or Mac, because of ease of use and software availability. Only servers and people who really know what they are doing use Linux.

ElmoBro23

I'm not debating over which is better: Windows or Linux?. The fact that I said I use Linux was completely besides point. I'm arguing that obtaining a "pirated" copy of Windows isn't necassrily a moral wrong, and those who do it shouldn't necessarily be punished and looked down on.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
ElmoBro23 said:
I'm not debating over which is better: Windows or Linux?. The fact that I said I use Linux was completely besides point. I'm arguing that obtaining a "pirated" copy of Windows isn't necassrily a moral wrong, and those who do it shouldn't necessarily be punished and looked down on.
Not a moral wrong? If not a moral wrong, then at least a legal one. I was taught to not steal. A pirated copy of software is considered stolen because it was not paid for. The legal name for stealing something is called theft. Theft should be punished. Those who commit theft are called criminals. I may not look down on criminals, but I sure as hell don't look UP to them!
That's like saying that I could walk into Wal-Mart and take, say, a DVD player and not pay for it, because Wal-Mart has a near-monopoly on selling electronic goods because they put mom-and-pop stores out of business. Bullcrap. If I don't have the money, I walk out... WITHOUT a player.
Tom

Last edited:

ElmoBro23

OvenMaster said:
No. Theft is theft no matter how you slice it. If you can't afford something, you don't steal it, you either do without or find an alternative.

Tom

So take this common scenario: Mid-winter, A mans family is starving, slowly dying from hunger. He's spent all the money he has for the month on rent so they wouldnt be kicked out into the cold. Now its 12 AM and he can't sleep because the thoughts of his suffering family are running through his head. He walks out of the house and down the block to a local 24-hour grocery store. As he paces through the aisles he's confronted with all this food that can save his family from their torment, all literaly within his reach. What does he do: Does he, as you put it "do without", and abide by the law, just walking away, back to his home to confront his devestated family with no nothing to offer. Or does he just "use the altenative" returning home and cooking up some of the cockroaches hhiding behind the wall.:confused:

Last edited: