*Official * Windows 7 Thread

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you hate Vista still, you might as well not even look at windows 7

im 98% sure that 7 will just be another Vista though aswell,with some diffrent start menu that nobody will realy take advantage off and doesnt realy help us.

take that task switch for Vista thingt,i never use it.

PC eye

banned
Why bother with XP then when it took roughly 7yrs. to see over 1,000 bugs fixed with SP3? That could be applied in the same analogy. It boils down to what you need in an OS more then which version or which particular OS itself to go with.

Vizy

I'm actually going to pick up a copy of Vista on newegg if they have a blackf riday sale. I plan to buy a few stuff actually. I was planning to pirate Vista, but then i was like,"not worth the hassle".

So i was just wondering what was all of this talk about subscriptions???

I suppose its actually all about what you will be using your OS for? I think that everyone who says that they will not upgrade should at least check it out, whether on anothers pc or what. You could take everyones word for it or you could form your own opinion.

Just my thoughts hope i didnt make anyone mad.

PC eye

banned
Practical first hand experience with any newer version or OS is the one fast way to find out if it will work for you. If drivers were available for 98SE at this time for the board and all hardwares I would likely have that setup in multiboot here just to be able to run some old games and apps. But I can usually get more done using updated softwares.

speedyink

VIP Member
im 98% sure that 7 will just be another Vista though aswell,with some diffrent start menu that nobody will realy take advantage off and doesnt realy help us.

take that task switch for Vista thingt,i never use it.

No, you get me wrong, trust me, 7 is a nice upgrade, and Vista was great to begin with, it's just at it's core 7 is still like Vista. They say the resources will be a lot more lenient, but until I see it in a build that reflects this (they're only marginally better now) I will always be skeptical. Mind you it's still just 2008, so there is much time to meet my expectations.

jashsayani

I just got my hands on a Win 7 DVD. The PDC 2008 version.
Checkout my video here: http://vimeo.com/2249478

The video shows all new features of Windows 7. If you want to try it out, then just leave a comment on the video and I'll mail a link to the OS to you.

Mecal

lol you'll be lucky, it wont be out in 2010, microsoft never release there OS's on time, 2012 at the earliest.

None at this point. The next version is still only in the early stages at this time with primarily only main Vista elements present until the final preparation is reached for the first beta stage. Any unconfirmed by Microsoft information at this time is still wild guesing and not any official MS release.

lol, alright.

Guess I'll use Vista-64 then :)

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone think that Microsoft will only release a 64 Bit version of Windows 7?

i think they will because there realy is no point releasing a 32 bit one,afterall all new cpus on the market today are 64bit.

also to note the 32 bit memory limit so nobody would buy it anyway.:confused:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone think that Microsoft will only release a 64 Bit version of Windows 7?

i think they will because there realy is no point releasing a 32 bit one,afterall all new cpus on the market today are 64bit.

also to note the 32 bit memory limit so nobody would buy it anyway.:confused:

They're releasing a 32 and 64 bit version.

Ethan3.14159

I remember reading back when windows 7 was in the minimalist stages they mentioned they would still release a 32-bit version. Which doesn't make sense to me. Prebuilt computers will have more than 4gb of RAM... so I don't see the point.

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
The current beta build is 32 bit. If they intended on releasing only a 64 bit OS, I'm guessing the beta would be 64 bit.

vista4334

I wonder... why microsoft isn't testing their products first?! They should first test it and fix it if there are issues, then release it. Microsoft does it exactly the opposite: first releases the operating system, then release many patches and fixes... it's very annoying.

ever heard of a release candidate?

speedyink

VIP Member
Oooh, just found out you can modify, move, and even delete files in use. :D

Let me see...what else...

Pictures saved in paint in jpeg format don't look like ass anymore
New features in Paint kick ass, makes up for the missing features in photo viewer

Did I mention Libraries? Damn they're handy

Windows Power shell. I have no idea how to work it, as I wouldn't generally use something like this, but looks interesting. Here's the Explanation:

"Windows PowerShell is a new Windows command-line shell designed especially for system administrators. The shell includes an interactive prompt and a scripting environment that can be used independently or in combination.
Unlike most shells, which accept and return text, Windows PowerShell is built on top of the .NET common language runtime (CLR) and the .NET Framework, and accepts and returns .NET objects. This fundamental change in the environment brings entirely new tools and methods to the management and configuration of Windows.
Windows PowerShell introduces the concept of a cmdlet (pronounced "command-let"), a simple, single-function command-line tool built into the shell. You can use each cmdlet separately, but their power is realized when you use these simple tools in combination to perform complex tasks. Windows PowerShell includes more than one hundred basic core cmdlets, and you can write your own cmdlets and share them with other users.
Like many shells, Windows PowerShell gives you access to the file system on the computer. In addition, Windows PowerShell providers enable you to access other data stores, such as the registry and the digital signature certificate stores, as easily as you access the file system.
This Getting Started guide provides an introduction to Windows PowerShell: the language, the cmdlets, the providers, and the use of objects."

On a debatable issue, windows can now tell where your geographical location is, provided you have the hardware to do so. I guess the purpose of this is for things like google maps and weather websites can see where you are to get a personalized experience. I would be one of the people concerned with privacy, but I don't have the hardware in my laptop so I really don't care. Even if I did, I'd be able to turn it off though.

Thats it for now

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
The current beta build is 32 bit. If they intended on releasing only a 64 bit OS, I'm guessing the beta would be 64 bit.

Some early information I ran into some months ago indicated that 7 would be the last version seeing any 32bit editions released. They need to focus on newer hardware capacities that exceed the 32bit kernel.

The current problem if they simply dump 32bit entirely too soon is the market still saturated with 32bit games and apps. You still don't see hardly any 64bit softwares being marketed as well as still seeing the need for increased 3rd party driver support which will likely be improved over what was seen for Vista.

anth11

Judging by the amount of threads being created to do with Windows 7, i'm making an official thread to make it less congested.

What's New in Windows 7? A Sneak Peek at the Pre-Beta Reveals Some Surprises

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/ne...7_a_sneak_peek_prebeta_reveals_some_surprises

Vista is done for. :p

Even More Windows 7 Features Revealed in Privacy Statement

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/even_more_windows_7_features_revealed_privacy_statement

Check Out How Windows 7 Will Look on Tablet PCs

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/check_out_how_windows_7_will_look_tablet_pcs

Is Windows 7 M3 Build 6801 Really "Vista R2?"

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/is_windows_7_m3_build_6801_really_vista_r2

Windows 7's Pre-Beta is "Safe, Solid - Exciting?"

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/windows_7s_prebeta_safe_solid_exciting

A Deeper Look at Disk Space Usage in Windows 7 (and Windows Vista)

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/a_deeper_look_disk_space_usage_windows_7_and_windows_vista

A Closer Look at Windows 7's Taskbar

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/a_closer_look_windows_7s_taskbar

If you have anymore news stories please PM me them so i can add them. :)

It's Vista with a new hat!

PC eye

banned
It's Vista with a new hat!

At this time it still is being that each part is worked on separately by different development teams. When going to work on the Longhorn project code name for Vista the early stages simply started on what was already available in XP and then went on from there.

Windows 7 will see a new type of file indexing system based on content according to some reliable sources while not being specific. The next version will also see a new look for the Windows taskbar as well. There's a few surprizes still in store once they get far enough along.