*POST YOUR TABLET OR PHONE HERE*

Geoff

VIP Member
I love the look of their phones, I just wish they had better application support. I looked and over 50% of the apps I use have no replacement on Windows Phone, and the ones that do appear to be inferior based on screenshots and features.

Intel_man

VIP Member
That's the downside of Windows Phone.

I loved my old Nokia n900. The older Nokia phones were built like tanks. If only Microsoft didn't buy them up and turned it into crap. :(

Which is why I went with a Sony Z3 when I replaced my n900.

spirit

Staff member
I love the look of their phones, I just wish they had better application support. I looked and over 50% of the apps I use have no replacement on Windows Phone, and the ones that do appear to be inferior based on screenshots and features.
There's quite a bit more on Windows 10 now. Pretty much all of the Windows Phone 8 & 8.1 apps work on Windows 10 and there's also quite a few new universal apps for 10 too. Just setting up my 930 with 10 I've seen that DropBox, Daily Mail, Twitter and Instagram are just a few apps that are now universal, 'Built for Windows 10'.

I've got all of the apps I need (and more). :)

The new 950 and 950 XL are good looking phones with excellent displays, seen and used them in the flesh, but they lack the 'Nokia build quality' that the 925 and the 930 had. They don't feel quite as premium which is a shame. They look and feel more like the cheaper Lumias of old, such as the 625 (which I also own).

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
There's quite a bit more on Windows 10 now. Pretty much all of the Windows Phone 8 & 8.1 apps work on Windows 10 and there's also quite a few new universal apps for 10 too. Just setting up my 930 with 10 I've seen that DropBox, Daily Mail, Twitter and Instagram are just a few apps that are now universal, 'Built for Windows 10'.

I've got all of the apps I need (and more). :)

The new 950 and 950 XL are good looking phones with excellent displays, seen and used them in the flesh, but they lack the 'Nokia build quality' that the 925 and the 930 had. They don't feel quite as premium which is a shame. They look and feel more like the cheaper Lumias of old, such as the 625 (which I also own).
For me, these are some of the common apps that I couldn't find last time I checked on Windows Phone:

Snapchat
Google Voice
Hangouts
Google Maps
Google Keep
Google Play Music
YouTube
YouTube Music
Chrome
Google Drive
CellMapper / Sensorly (cell carrier coverage mapping)
WigleWifi (Wifi network mapping)
FolderSync (sync folders between my phone and NAS)
inSSIDer (WiFi analyzer)
Hiking and biking fitness tracking
SafeInCloud (password manager)
My banking apps
Steam

spirit

Staff member
Most of those are Google apps. YouTube isn't really an issue if you just want to watch videos. The YouTube mobile site is pretty good and works fine.

The Maps app included with Windows 10 and the Nokia HERE Maps included with Windows Phone 8.1 work fine. Normally I don't use Edge or IE on a PC but on the phone they seem perfectly OK.

Some banks have apps for Windows now but that is still something I wish HSBC at least would do. FirstDirect, a subsidiary of HSBC, have a Windows (Phone 8.1) app, so I don't understand why HSBC doesn't.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
Most of those are Google apps.

Hence why I bought a Google phone. :p

Windows Phones seem nice enough but if you try and argue their app store selection is anything beyond disappointing you're wasting your time IMO.

Geoff

VIP Member
Most of those are Google apps. YouTube isn't really an issue if you just want to watch videos. The YouTube mobile site is pretty good and works fine.

The Maps app included with Windows 10 and the Nokia HERE Maps included with Windows Phone 8.1 work fine. Normally I don't use Edge or IE on a PC but on the phone they seem perfectly OK.

Some banks have apps for Windows now but that is still something I wish HSBC at least would do. FirstDirect, a subsidiary of HSBC, have a Windows (Phone 8.1) app, so I don't understand why HSBC doesn't.
That's the problem, plus a lot of apps are months to years behind their iOS and Android counterparts. Those apps may get brand new features and capabilities that the Windows Phone version won't get for quite a while.