Tera Open Beta

Kewl Munky

Has anyone else been playing? I started up yesterday and spent a few hours playing today. So far I rather like it. I find it a great change up from just point and click. I'm liking that I can actually block or move out of range of attacks instead of just having to sit there and take it. I'm only level 12 so I haven't gotten terribly far but I'm having fun as a Castanic Berserker. The game design itself is gorgeous, though it isn't optimized very well as no matter what graphical setting it is at I get between 20 and 30 fps, but it is just a beta.

Troncoso

VIP Member
It seems no one on the forums is that interested in it. I tried it myself, getting to level 10. The combat system is so fresh compared to most recent MMO's. I love that it's got action combat, hack n slash, and RPG style combat all rolled into one. Sadly, I think that is all this game has going for it.

I was, in no way, whatsoever, involved in the story. I had no idea why I was doing the quests I was, nor did I even care. In that aspect, it's just like WoW.
As well, there is too much going on in the beginning. Right from the start, you can gather, craft, enchant, etc etc. There is barely explanation on how to do anything (albeit this is a beta, but it is due to release in about a week. I doubt too much changes).

Honestly, I think the game is only interesting as long as you are enjoying the combat. Once that dries, I feel people will lose interest. Unless the PvP/PvE/End game content is something special.

So at this point, I see it this way:

WoW: Easy to pick up/get good at/Strong player base
Rift: Good.....way to get players to work together..(don't know what to call that)
SWTOR: A great story mechanic
Tere: A good combat system

All these games are only hitting on 1 or 2 aspects of what makes up a great game...guess we'll wait and see what Guild Wars 2 brings out.

Kewl Munky

I agree as well. I didn't really want to read the quests I was doing, even for the story. I liked that they have some cinematics, but I wish they would make an mmo where it basically is an rpg with a huge population. I want the NPC's to speaks to me, not have to read everything. But that would take ridiculous amounts of time with an MMO. I heard Guild Wars 2 has an action combat system as well, and if that will be F2P I may get that instead as I know I will bore of any MMO.

Aastii

VIP Member
I agree as well. I didn't really want to read the quests I was doing, even for the story. I liked that they have some cinematics, but I wish they would make an mmo where it basically is an rpg with a huge population. I want the NPC's to speaks to me, not have to read everything. But that would take ridiculous amounts of time with an MMO. I heard Guild Wars 2 has an action combat system as well, and if that will be F2P I may get that instead as I know I will bore of any MMO.

Why hello there Star Wars Old Republic ;) Exactly what you are talking about, howeve I personally didn't like it at all

Troncoso

VIP Member
Why hello there Star Wars Old Republic ;) Exactly what you are talking about, howeve I personally didn't like it at all

Yes, STWOR (I think) implements the story aspect perfectly, but that's all it has going for it. And all things considered, it's Star Wars. That kind of story is really only going to fit a niche group.

And I really hope GW2 is FTP like the first one.

Kewl Munky

My buddy was all on my case for me to get SWTOR, then a month after it was out he canceled his subscription and told me it needs to be patched and such. I have heard the end game sucks and the combat itself isn't that great.

Like Troncoso said, MMO's need to focus on multiple features, not just one.

Troncoso

VIP Member
My buddy was all on my case for me to get SWTOR, then a month after it was out he canceled his subscription and told me it needs to be patched and such. I have heard the end game sucks and the combat itself isn't that great.

Like Troncoso said, MMO's need to focus on multiple features, not just one.

I had a subscription for 2 months. Honestly, I did like it for what it was. But, not only was it not entertaining enough to shell out $15 a month, but I also am piss poor at the moment, so I can't afford it....hence why I play free betas.