WD Western Digital External Hard Drive 320GB Passport Won't Work - WHY?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Like I figured your not going to answer the question. PCeye if you cant swim stay out of the pool, your sucking water and flopping around screaming but telling everybody its just a new way of swimming called the Water Sucking Backstroke.

SirKenin

banned
The WD software doesn't install any usb drivers while those items can be plainly seen.

That would be because the USB storage controller doesn't get listed under the section you're displaying there. It would also be because the WD software (reading this the next day I realize that I should clarify the "autorun on the WD hard drive) doesn't install *any* drivers. Windows, however, does. Dig a little deeper, Fred... and to further Stranglehold's analogy, the kiddy pool is over at HardForum. You'd probably be a much better fit there with the rest of his clueless fanclub.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
Cute screenshot, this is the third time I am asking the same question and you still havent answered. HOW DOES REINSTALLING YOUR USB DRIVERS AND DELETING OLD USB DEVICE DRIVERS TRASH WINDOWS. I am really curious because I,ve done it many times.

If you haven't figured it out by now you never will. :p

On a recent fresh install of XP everything in the usb section of the device manager had a nice yellow mark next to it. Yet the external drive was readily available when plugged in even while the auto run was busy.

Once reformatted from Fat32 to NTFS the auto run is simply a waste of time as well as uninstalling usb listings in the DM. Plus you're telling someone that may know nothing at all about how to go about things in the DM and instructing that person to simply start uninstalling things? :confused: real smart genius! :rolleyes: Start smeilling what's on your shovel.

All that before Pauly73Drifter could even be asked how old the system with the ide actually is. hhmmmm.... Some old case with only 1 or 2 usb ports and not enough milliamps on the usb bus like the WD support site indicated as one actual explaination. That's they seem to carry a usb current booster for older systems.

SirKenin

banned
lol. Love the pic.

Anyways, PC, that last screenshot, once again, proves nothing, not even your own point (although it would have been ideal to include the DM with the exclamation by the USB devices if you're actually going to throw more of your useless crap at us).

Uninstalling USB devices.. You can actually remove every single device in your device manager... Every last one of them, until Windows locks up if you want. Then, you turn off your machine, restart it and Windows redetects all the devices that are still present.

VOILA! You're back in business, and not one stupid, irrelevant, incoherent piece of PCeye drivel was harmed in the process.

As a matter of fact, that's how you switch out mobos without reinstalling your XP (and yes, I've done it dozens of times). Change your IDE controller to the default busmaster controller and reboot. All the new devices are detected and installed, you go in and delete all the old ones.. And you didn't have to reinstall Windows.

And, for the last time, it doesn't matter a damn what software is on the portable drive. Until Windows detects the initial devices and installs the drivers for them, it could be a "PCeye knows bugger all about computers" file system on it, or a "your posts are pointless" filesystem.. It wouldn't matter. Windows wouldn't even get anywhere near accessing it until the controller drivers were installed, and on Windows XP the default MS drivers are used (that's why you don't need the disk, or any software on the WD, to install it).

And once more, the milliamps that you're preaching has NOTHING to do with it, unless you're powering the device off the USB or using a cable longer than spec (which is currently 12ft IIRC). The WD receives it's power off an external power source. That thing would work on a Pentium 3 computer without a problem.

Now, the little gizmo I have is slightly different. It's a 2.5" 250GB portable drive. It's powered off the USB as well, no external power supply. Therefore it has two USB plugs that plug into the computer.

StrangleHold

Staff member
If you haven't figured it out by now you never will. :p

On a recent fresh install of XP everything in the usb section of the device manager had a nice yellow mark next to it. Yet the external drive was readily available when plugged in even while the auto run was busy.

Once reformatted from Fat32 to NTFS the auto run is simply a waste of time as well as uninstalling usb listings in the DM. Plus you're telling someone that may know nothing at all about how to go about things in the DM and instructing that person to simply start uninstalling things? :confused: real smart genius! :rolleyes: Start smeilling what's on your shovel.

All that before Pauly73Drifter could even be asked how old the system with the ide actually is. hhmmmm.... Some old case with only 1 or 2 usb ports and not enough milliamps on the usb bus like the WD support site indicated as one actual explaination. That's they seem to carry a usb current booster for older systems.

All that looks good on the surface but it means about as much as the price of grapes in China pertaining to the question. I can see how you fool noobs with your reworded google look ups and on and on rambling of brilliance. I never questioned the milliamps on the USB hub. For the fourth time. (How does reinstalling your USB drivers and deleting old USB device drivers trash Windows?) which could be causing a problem on a equal basis and I never said to just start uninstalling things. Quit twisting things and just answer the question.

PC eye

banned
All that looks good on the surface but it means about as much as the price of grapes in China pertaining to the question. I can see how you fool noobs with your reworded google look ups and on and on rambling of brilliance. I never questioned the milliamps on the USB hub. For the fourth time. (How does reinstalling your USB drivers and deleting old USB device drivers trash Windows?) which could be causing a problem on a equal basis and I never said to just start uninstalling things. Quit twisting things and just answer the question.

The quesion is the answer? Or is the answer the question? :p

No one said anything about a usb hub. The WD support site points at the usb bus of the board on a particular system as not seeing enough current to support an external drive.

In fact someone else came slightly closer since the USBSTOR.SYS driver has been in Windows since ME/2000 for usb cameras and then for mass storage devices. But why would amyone knock out usb host controllers since even while everything under usb was yellow marked the drive was still working as it normally would?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Still didnt answer the question! If you put as much effort into getting your statements right as you do trying to backpeddle-twist-dodge- on something stupid you say trying to justify or get back on another wrong statement. Your knowledge is not amazing but your ability to B/S is.

PC eye

banned
I did answer the question but you as usual never bothered to "listen" which is nothing new for you either. :rolleyes:

As explained earlier the entire usb section was yellowed out on a fresh install of XP when that was seeing a custom later being reinstalled all over to see that corrected. Couldn't get online with the usb host controllers out but the external drive was still seen as a logical without even reinstalling the WD software.

Figure it out yet? When reformatting the original Fat32 to NTFS the software and auto run is no longer if you have it plugged into a working usb port or the usb bus sees at least 1000uA meeting the minimum requirement. Is it that difficult for you to figure out?

Windows then readily sees the drive as simply another sata model just like the bios recognises it right off. With the clean install of XP Windows didn't have time to even see the usbstor.sys be installed as the auto run popup prior to the installer was busy while the drive was seen in Windows Explorer upon reaching the desktop. Had to fight to close those out when they persisted since the drive was already a logical drive.

SirKenin

banned
I smell a fresh load of feces.. *sniff* *sniff*

Any fresh install of XP detects the USB ports and installs them. The only exception is pre-sp2 on USB2.0 controllers. Then again, this is Flinstone we're talking about here. :D

AND.. If Freddy did use an archaic version of XP on USB2.0 controllers, they would STILL work although they would indeed have the yellow !. They would simply work as USB 1.0 controllers.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I did answer the question but you as usual never bothered to "listen" which is nothing new for you either. :rolleyes:

As explained earlier the entire usb section was yellowed out on a fresh install of XP when that was seeing a custom later being reinstalled all over to see that corrected. Couldn't get online with the usb host controllers out but the external drive was still seen as a logical without even reinstalling the WD software.

Figure it out yet? When reformatting the original Fat32 to NTFS the software and auto run is no longer if you have it plugged into a working usb port or the usb bus sees at least 1000uA meeting the minimum requirement. Is it that difficult for you to figure out?

Windows then readily sees the drive as simply another sata model just like the bios recognises it right off. With the clean install of XP Windows didn't have time to even see the usbstor.sys be installed as the auto run popup prior to the installer was busy while the drive was seen in Windows Explorer upon reaching the desktop. Had to fight to close those out when they persisted since the drive was already a logical drive.

Ok, I really read that 2 times. I didnt listen to it since theres no sound. But I,ll tell ya PCeye I cant see a thing in there that tells me how reinstalling your USB drivers and deleteing old USB device drivers will (TRASH) windows. If you would kindly point out what part of that post or any other that explains it.

I smell a fresh load of feces.. *sniff* *sniff*

Any fresh install of XP detects the USB ports and installs them. The only exception is pre-sp2 on USB2.0 controllers. Then again, this is Flinstone we're talking about here. :D

AND.. If Freddy did use an archaic version of XP on USB2.0 controllers, they would STILL work although they would indeed have the yellow !. They would simply work as USB 1.0 controllers.

And I smell a dead horse's carcass... Quit beating the stench out of it..

SirKenin

banned
I guess it all depends on one's definition of what denotes a trashed thread.

BS masquerading as "advice", misdirection, lack of knowledge, google hacks, irrelevant images, confusing, irrelevant blather and mumbo jumbo.... Or being called on your crap and having you dodge, duck and dive?

Tough call.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Well this thread is a peice of work.

The same "USB device not recognized" message also occurs with mice, USB keyboards, etc. Resetting the computer by pulling the power from it for five minutes is a well documented trick to resetting the USB ports.
I usually just pull it out and plug it back in once the new hardware bubbles stop popping up.

We don't know if the drive is spinning up or not on the second machine, it's possible it's not able to draw enough power from the USB port. To know for sure we'd need to hear back from Pauly73Drifter.

Reinstalling the USB hub drivers (ie uninstall & then install again) wont damage a windows installation unless there are other problems. All your USB devices will redetect. Now if you only have a USB keyboard/mouse it might get a little dicey although I'm pretty sure it's still possible, I can't remember the exact process for windows to install hub drivers (whether you have to click through menus or not).

SirKenin

banned
Well this thread is a peice of work.

I usually just pull it out and plug it back in once the new hardware bubbles stop popping up.

Often that works, but not always. I've worked on machines where that didn't work. Deleting the USB device entries, pulling the power from the machine for five minutes, powering it back up and letting Windows reinstall whatever devices still present did work. Lexmark and Canon printers were especially problematic.

We don't know if the drive is spinning up or not on the second machine, it's possible it's not able to draw enough power from the USB port. To know for sure we'd need to hear back from Pauly73Drifter.

True enough, it would help to know if he plugged both USB connectors in or just one. I guess the assumption I made is that he followed the directions and plugged both in.

Reinstalling the USB hub drivers (ie uninstall & then install again) wont damage a windows installation unless there are other problems. All your USB devices will redetect. Now if you only have a USB keyboard/mouse it might get a little dicey although I'm pretty sure it's still possible, I can't remember the exact process for windows to install hub drivers (whether you have to click through menus or not).

To reinstall hub drivers, you delete the USB hub drivers out of the device manager, then let the DM search for new hardware under the Action menu (or from the right click context menu).

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
And if someone lacking experience is told to and goes ahead and uninstalls other things in the DM by mistake?

oregon had one smart suggestion earlier about seeing if the usb port was the problem. Trying another device on the same port would tell if that was the problem.

Another thing the OP would have to provide is the age of the system with the ide type drive. If too old the bus simply won't support the 1000uA requirement where the additional usb booster would be needed.

WeatherMan

*Love is in the air* Wooo wooo

If there wasn't so much tension in this thread maybe the poster would actually give us a reply an we can get somewhere prehaps?!