Western Digital or Seagate?

CaptainBri

Hi guys,

Is Western Digital an okay harddrive for internal use?

i know seagate is better but its costly and i cant really afford it.

Bodaggit23

Who said Seagate was better? lol

It's a matter of opinion, but there's nothing wrong with Western Digital hard drives.

CaptainBri

lol okay

koz my friend told me that maybe WD internal hardrives might stuff up = loose everything lol so he say he prefer seagate.

So is it okay if i get a WD internal Hardrive?

Bodaggit23

lol okay

koz my friend told me that maybe WD internal hardrives might stuff up = loose everything lol so he say he prefer seagate.

So is it okay if i get a WD internal Hardrive?
No sooner than any other drive.

Western Digital is a very dependable brand. One of the best.

Kesava

I prefer Seagate. I have always found them to be more reliable. I would recommend you stay away from the Western Digital Caviar drives as myself and a few people I know have had problems with that range of hard drives.

JTM

Western Digital and Seagate drives are both very reliable. I would watch out for Hitachi deskstars (deathstars).

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I prefer Seagate. I have always found them to be more reliable. I would recommend you stay away from the Western Digital Caviar drives as myself and a few people I know have had problems with that range of hard drives.

Same here...Seagate.

My Western Digital 400Gb drive died on me,But i suppose any make of hard drive can just fail so i cant just say WD are bad.

Kesava

Yeah well in my experience they have been pretty unreliable. I currently have a Seagate 360Gb which has lasted me for a very long time and just got a WD 500Gb external which i pulled apart and it is now internal. No problems so far... but I haven't had it for long.

bomberboysk

Yeah well in my experience they have been pretty unreliable. I currently have a Seagate 360Gb which has lasted me for a very long time and just got a WD 500Gb external which i pulled apart and it is now internal. No problems so far... but I haven't had it for long.

Well, at the moment i would go for western digital, heck of alot better rma process if something DOES go wrong. Lemme explain... With seagate i have the 2 drives in my sig, one died on my about 6 months after purchase and i had to rma it... i either had to pay $15 just for the packaging on it(they want 3" foam rubber on all sides of drive+antistatic bag) then also shipping, or spend $20 on an advance rma, which of course id did since that was cheaper than packaging. Then the other drive i had decided it would fail on me and i had to go through the same process all over... at least with western digital u can send it back how newegg sends the drives to you(bubblewrap+antistatic bag).

StrangleHold

Staff member
I perfer Seagates, but like above stay away from the 7200.11 drives. Get a 7200.10 or 7200.12. Western Digital is 50/50. The Caviar SE/16 are more of a general purpose drive, either will last forever or complete junk. The Black series drives are pretty good or the RE models.

mx344

I'm for seagate :) i havent had WD drives, but the seagate drives have never failed on me. I would go seagate.

fmw

The interet is full of nonsense about a lot of things. Seagate and WD are the two largest hard drive makers. They got there by providing good value to their customers. They make great products. In my experience the Seagate drives are usually slightly cheaper for a given set of specs - at least at wholesale price levels. So they may be a better value. I wouldn't say they are a better product, however. Both brands are as good as you can buy.

realmike15

never had a Western Digital die on me, i've purchased probably close to 10 of them, over the last 5-7 years. i say Wester Digital is more reliable, just because Seagate has a longer warranty doesn't necessary mean they're better.

bomberboysk

never had a Western Digital die on me, i've purchased probably close to 10 of them, over the last 5-7 years. i say Wester Digital is more reliable, just because Seagate has a longer warranty doesn't necessary mean they're better.

In used to buy nothing but seagate, but anymore as i said the future drive i will buy will be western digital, until seagate fixes their rma process.

realmike15

In used to buy nothing but seagate, but anymore as i said the future drive i will buy will be western digital, until seagate fixes their rma process.
i was reading on newegg, about people having an issue with flashing newer seagate drives and then having them die. i don't remember the specifics, but i saw quite a few comments about it.

i'm not against Seagate, but i think right now they're probably a bad choice.

fmw

I've bought 10's of thousands of each over the years. Trust me. They are the equivalent of one another.

lawson_jl

Hard drives for the most part are commodity items, except for a few specialty drives like the 10,000 RPM Raptor drives. All consumer drives are built the same way, with the same parts, in the same type of plants, even by the same people in some cases. Seagate aquired Matxor is 2005 for example. Some people have had better luck with some brands then others. I have two WD and one Maxtor drives. I have always used WD drives just because and of course a drive or two has failed on me over the years. My friend who uses and swears by Seagate drives has had Seagate drives fail on him as well.

The more important thing is to BACK UP your data regaurdless of what brand of drive you choose.