What happens if you break a part from newegg?

Metallica17

Random question but I can't seem to find the answer on newegg. What happens if a piece breaks that you order off their site? Like you try and put the processor in and you mess the pins up? Or if you somehow short the motherboard, or even mess up ram when your putting it in? Can you return it in for a refund or are you just out of luck?

Metallica17

Products that are not eligible for return and will be sent back to you at your cost and expense if received by us:
-Any product not purchased from Newegg.com
-Any product without a valid, readable serial number, including but not limited to products with missing, damaged, altered, or otherwise unreadable serial number
-Any product that is returned without all original packaging and accessories, including the retail box, manuals, cables, and all other items originally included with the product
-Any product from which the UPC code has been removed from its packaging
-Any product that exhibits physical damage
-Any product for which you have submitted a mail-in rebate

I take it the bold part means that if there is a bent part on the cpu pins, you can't return it?

Egon

Correct.

CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

* Return for refund within: non-refundable
* Return for replacement within: 30 days

Products that state "This item is covered by Newegg.com's CPU Replacement Only Return Policy", or items labeled as “Non-refundable” (or similar labeling) must be returned to Newegg within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Products covered by this return policy may only be returned for a replacement of the same or equivalent item. “Return” constitutes receipt of the product by Newegg, and not the mere issuance of an RMA.

The following conditions are not acceptable for return, and will result in the merchandise being returned to you:

* Any CPU that is physically damaged
* Improper installation of CPU fans and/or improper clocking may cause CPUs to chip. CPUs that are chipped, burnt or have bent/broken pins are considered physically damaged and cannot be returned for refund or replacement. Physical damage includes (but is not limited to) improper handling and any other type of damage sustained by irregular use.

Egon

Personally I trust NewEgg over Best Buy or any other tech store you can drive to.

Metallica17

I trust them, it's just my parents won't buy from newegg if they think I'm going to break a piece like the ram or something.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I trust them, it's just my parents won't buy from newegg if they think I'm going to break a piece like the ram or something.

But what's the difference between buying from newegg and a brick and mortar store? It's not like they'll take it back if you physically broke something...

linkin

VIP Member
As long as you don't rage and throw something when building your coputer i doubt you could breaky anything.

bomberboysk

No warranties or replacement policies cover physical damage to a product, barring some products that an accidental damage protection plan is available on...and that is only pretty much on such things as televisions and laptops.

Respital

The only physical damage return i think they would accept would be if it was out of your hands. For example if it was damaged during shipping, say the box got crushed and something broke etc, otherwise probably not.

Drenlin

This part isn't any different from buying it from a storefront. Newegg has a lot better customer service than most other places, but there's no reason that they should have to pay if you break it. I don't see your parents' reasoning here...

However, the parts DO have warranties. The average warranty coverage of a Newegg-built rig would be MUCH better than anything pre-built.

bomberboysk

This part isn't any different from buying it from a storefront. Newegg has a lot better customer service than most other places, but there's no reason that they should have to pay if you break it. I don't see your parents' reasoning here...

However, the parts DO have warranties. The average warranty coverage of a Newegg-built rig would be MUCH better than anything pre-built.

Yep, because most memory offers a lifetime warranty, at bare minimum motherboards will have a one year warranty, some 2 year, some 3 year, some lifetime, etc. Power supplies can have anywhere from 1-7 years of warranty, CPU's generally have a 3 year warranty, etc.