Windows 7 ???

Bodaggit23

It has some nice features, yes, but I've fallen off the bandwagon personally.

True, it's slimmed down from Vista, but I don't have a machine that has problems running Vista, so I have no need to upgrade.

The only way I would recommend an upgrade to Windows 7, if if you're still
running Windows XP.

linkin

VIP Member
My windows 7 ultimate is using about 100mb more ram idle as my vista ultiamte was at idle. but i did go from 32 bit to 64 bit if it matters.

realmike15

Is it that much better than Vista ?

it's better than XP and Vista. it's more secure and far more stable. it can also run in XP mode... if you run into a compatibility issue (which I never have). there really is no reason to use XP or Vista anymore.

cheers :D

Bodaggit23

it's better than XP and Vista. it's more secure and far more stable. it can also run in XP mode... if you run into a compatibility issue (which I never have). there really is no reason to use XP or Vista anymore.

More secure than XP most definitely, but no more than Vista.

I've had zero stability issues with Vista. Never had a BSOD, only with XP.

XP mode can be run on Vista also using VMWare or Virtual PC.

Hardly impressive to say one has "never had a compatibility issue" when
the OS has only been released for less than a month. :p

realmike15

More secure than XP most definitely, but no more than Vista.

I've had zero stability issues with Vista. Never had a BSOD, only with XP.

XP mode can be run on Vista also using VMWare or Virtual PC.

Hardly impressive to say one has "never had a compatibility issue" when
the OS has only been released for less than a month. :p

everything i've read has suggested it's more secure than Vista... not by a lot, but still improved security over Vista in some ways. UAC is still there, it's just toned down but it doesn't stop anyone from turning it back up Vista style.

wasn't saying Vista isn't capable of doing it, but with 7 it's built it.

i've been running Beta since it came to Torrents Jan '09... i'd say 11 months on a beta with no compatibility issues is pretty impressive. just cause you waited until release doesn't mean everyone else did :p

Bodaggit23

i've been running Beta since it came to Torrents Jan '09... i'd say 11 months on a beta with no compatibility issues is pretty impressive. just cause you waited until release doesn't mean everyone else did :p

I've been running it since it was legally available for public download, Beta, RC, and Enterprise.

I will not purchase because I have no reason to.

realmike15

I've been running it since it was legally available for public download, Beta, RC, and Enterprise.

I will not purchase because I have no reason to.

That's cool dude, I'm not saying it's for everyone. But if you do anything performance intensive, Windows 7 has a much lighter footprint, and therefore will give overall greater performance benefits than Vista.

I really hope you're not taking this personal, you can run whatever you like. But the man's question was whether or not Windows 7 is worth the upgrade... and for 90% of the computer using population, it's a worth wild upgrade especially if you can get the $29.99 student pricing.

DarthJonny

nevermind the $29.99 student discount. my friends dad works at microsoft i saw him today and he handed me a copy of Ultimate like that. includes both the 32 and 64 bit version. XD

zenarchos15.

I think it is much better than vista, as many people were not happy with vista Microsoft had to bring out a better operating system, Fast!

With my experience with windows vista and windows 7, windows 7 boots up faster and uses less processing power and ram.

Hope this helps *

Bodaggit23

I think it is much better than vista, as many people were not happy with vista Microsoft had to bring out a better operating system, Fast!

3 years is pretty fast I guess...

Many people were not happy with Vista when it first came out.
Those woes are long gone.

Twist86

That's cool dude, I'm not saying it's for everyone. But if you do anything performance intensive, Windows 7 has a much lighter footprint, and therefore will give overall greater performance benefits than Vista.

I have not noticed any real performance boost over vista other then the fact it boots up faster. Far as memory footprint goes 4GB never gets used so that is a useless pro for me.

The thing I detest about windows 7 is most the eye candy they added over Vista.

Give me a "vista" desktop and taskbar and I will be happy.

Bamgag

so are there any features that 7 has but vista doesnt? these answers are kinda vague? you think somebody could elaborate a little more?