XP vs. Win. 7

Which version is better overall?

• Windows XP

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Windows 7

Votes: 41 85.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm deciding whether to get win 7 or keep my XP. Need some opinions before upgrading to 7. I know that support for XP will discontinue in a few year, but disregard this fact. Which one is better overall?

Twist86

Depends...if your not gaming id stick with XP.

If the OS does what you want and you are happy stick with it till you have to upgrade. I have to say I don't really like Windows 7 but I hate more of the cosmetic end of 7. Then again I loved Vista so I guess I am just odd.

Respital

Depends...if your not gaming id stick with XP.

If the OS does what you want and you are happy stick with it till you have to upgrade. I have to say I don't really like Windows 7 but I hate more of the cosmetic end of 7. Then again I loved Vista so I guess I am just odd.

^Strange child. :p

gamerman4

Windows is ages ahead of XP. I would upgrade for the new taskbar alone, it is much more usable than the old taskbar style (which hasn't really changed as much as this since Windows 95). Being able to tile two windows side-by-side with drag and drop is invaluable to me. I used to love XP but switched to Windows 7 in January and have since started to hate having to use a computer with with XP on it. Everything is faster. Networking works quite well. Device Stage is kinda gimmicky but it actually has a full stage for my MP3 player so I have been using it a lot. So far I haven't found anything that Windows XP can do that Win7 can't do better (apart from playing ancient games which I don't see as much of a detractor).

Last edited:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I was goign to say this is a very odd poll, but seeing as Netbooks went from offering XP to 7, I guess it's rather viable...

My thoughts, it depends on the hardware. Unless you have a very current and up-to-date machine with a good GPU, go with XP. It's much easier on the computer and there are really no advantages to the added crap with 7. There might be a couple neat features people prefer such as faster boot times and better hibernation, but that's about it. Windows 7, to me, still has more quirks than either XP or Vista (SP2!!!) Stick with those OS's for a bit longer while Windows 7 is worked on a bit more.

awildgoose

Personally I really favour Windows 7. It has a much better feel to it, the system requirements are not actually too high, a computer that is a couple years old could handle 32-bit quite easily. It has features which may seem gimmicky but are quite useful, for example; you can have a window open and you take it to the side of the screen and it fits to half the screen. This is useful for comparing prices, emails etc.

The only downfall is the price-tag in my opinion.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm....well imo it depends on what you do with your Operating system...if its just the casual Internet,movies,word processing then you can do all that on Xp just fine.....But if your a gamer and want the latest features of 7 such as DX11 etc then 7 is the way to go.

of course 7 has alot of other features aswell though.

Xp though i will always love though its a great os....and so is 7.

TFT

VIP Member
It is...but il admit Xp is still a solid and reliable OS!

Mature FTW!:D

Your'e right, It may be old but it's the best "old" OS to date. Like most businesses I can't see an upgrade at work coming any time soon, XP will be there until forced out by no support.

W7 will be the individuals OS.

Bodaggit23

Solid and reliable? XP is a turd. On my i7 box, Vista is faster and smoother.

It's probably the most vulnerable OS out right now in terms of security.

BSOD's anyone? No thanks, I'll stick with Vista. :D

premierxxx

I'm deciding whether to get win 7 or keep my XP. Need some opinions before upgrading to 7. I know that support for XP will discontinue in a few year, but disregard this fact. Which one is better overall?

XP.

I've used Vista on my laptop for a year, and I must say, I miss XP big time. I tried Seven, it's much better than Vista, but XP is still the best. A thing you should consider with 7. NSA has a security backdoor patch for it, and can access your computer at will. It's a proven fact. This is one of the reasons I kept Vista on my laptop. My advice is that you get XP and keep it. It's better hands down. Faster and more secure, and just as stable as Vista and 7 if not more. DirectX 10 is also available for XP so you could run latest games. That's what I have for my main desktop, XP. Nothing else goes onto my computer.

Basically, in my experience, both Vista and 7 have too much GUI abstraction, you have to do more to accomplish same things. In XP is much simpler and straight forward. Plus both Vista and 7 have software compatibility issues. XP does not. That NSA security patch beats it all. You might as well install Back Orifice (for those that remember) on your windows, and claim hackers keep you safe.

When you get XP use Royale Noir theme from XP Media Center edition, being sure to switch it to black mode. http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Themes/Royale-Noir-Theme.shtml Beats any Vista or 7 theme hands down.

ScottALot

Really, 7 is just XP with Aero and more features... Vista was sooooo slow, but 7 has less impact on the computer than XP did!!!

epidemik

I upgraded from XP Pro to 7. I like 7 a lot more. I like the interface a lot more and it seems snappier...idk maybe thats just because my XP install was old and getting bogged down. Still I would highly recommend upgrading. Theres really no reason not to. I havent hit any issues and it performs just as well as (if not better than) XP.

tremmor

I like 7 Pro 64 thats what i bought. I should have spent a bit more and did Ultimate. not a big deal though. I Used on all computers in the home had xp pro. worked fine. I could afford it and bought it. One thing though. Its another learning curve. mostly because it has a lot more. just takes time to figure it out. installed about a week ago. still learning about a lot of features i like. security is higher, starts up a lot faster. do it now or do it later.

don't think the change has to be now for more most. likely won't happen.
just depends on where ya go on the net and how ya do it. most of the people like me was looking for a new adventure and had the time to figure it out. Ive managed to get all the software installed except for one. Found the work around i think for most compatibility problems. just something i wanted to learn. i will figure it out.

cheers.......

Last edited: