Worth the upgrade?

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
You guys think these upgrades are worth it on my system?

up.png


I was thinking of upgrading but not sure if i should wait,Or if i should sell my whole rig and build something newer but that would cost over £750-800 :cool:
 
Oh nice thanks Bomber,Dont know much about SSD drives to be honest so i only assumed the one i put on my list was the latest.

As for the GTX 460,Will it be bottlenecked in anyway by my Cpu or my ram speed?...my rams running at 936mhz Dual channel iirc.
 
The 460 is better and the best 200 buck card around. But already having a 4890 it wont be that great of a upgrade. I would save some more up and go alittle better.
 
i have just ordered my gtx 460 but not the 1gb version as im going sli ill just get 2 of the 768mb ones.

i dont need the 1gb version as my screen resolution isnt massive 1680 x 1050

they look like nice gpu's, the sweet spot (what the 5770 should have been)
 
i have just ordered my gtx 460 but not the 1gb version as im going sli ill just get 2 of the 768mb ones.

i dont need the 1gb version as my screen resolution isnt massive 1680 x 1050

they look like nice gpu's, the sweet spot (what the 5770 should have been)

Funky, the 1GB version is not better because of the larger frame buffer. The 1GB has 30 ROPs vs 24 on the 768mb Version, and 256bit memory interface vs 192bit. That is why the 1GB version beats out the GTX 465, yet the 768mb version is slower than a GTX 465.
 
I cant see why AMD bothered with the 768mb version to be honest,i know its a cheaper alternative but when you look at the prices between the 768mb and 1gb version its not all that much more.

I think im just going wait and when the time comes that my current machine no longer does what i want then il upgrade the whole thing.

i do still fancy getting myself an SSD drive though,cant stand how long it takes for some stuff to load sometimes....i know its my hard drive :/
 
I cant see why AMD bothered with the 768mb version to be honest,i know its a cheaper alternative but when you look at the prices between the 768mb and 1gb version its not all that much more.

I think im just going wait and when the time comes that my current machine no longer does what i want then il upgrade the whole thing.

i do still fancy getting myself an SSD drive though,cant stand how long it takes for some stuff to load sometimes....i know its my hard drive :/
Really your going to limit yourself by going with a 60GB ssd and not a faster hard drive, i'd recommend getting yourself a faster single hard drive for data(1TB spinpoint F3 comes to mind), selling your current drives, and then seeing if an SSD would be worth the investment. Most of your data/applications will be installed to a hard drive anyhow, may as well be a fast one.
 
Funky, the 1GB version is not better because of the larger frame buffer. The 1GB has 30 ROPs vs 24 on the 768mb Version, and 256bit memory interface vs 192bit. That is why the 1GB version beats out the GTX 465, yet the 768mb version is slower than a GTX 465.

not worried one little bit, as ive looked at the benchmarks etc etc and noticed the 1gb version does get better framerates but the 768mb doesnt produce terrible rates either

once opon a time i would have bought stupidly based on benchmarks etc but you know what?

i would rather buy something cheaper that plays the game i want and use my spare money to take my girlfriend out because you know

a computer isnt the reason why i live lol
 
not worried one little bit, as ive looked at the benchmarks etc etc and noticed the 1gb version does get better framerates but the 768mb doesnt produce terrible rates either

once opon a time i would have bought stupidly based on benchmarks etc but you know what?

i would rather buy something cheaper that plays the game i want and use my spare money to take my girlfriend out because you know

a computer isnt the reason why i live lol
True true, just saying the 1GB IMO is worth the extra(here in the states anyhow its only ~$30 more than the 768mb for a pretty decent increase).
 
yeh i know, aslong as i can get decent framerates with the 768mb im happy, im planing on taking my time building a new rig.

will be looking at maybe a tri sli mobo so when the time comes that the 768mb just wont cut it ill drop another one in there and ive read how well these scale in sli

all i had was enough for the 768mb, if i waited a few more days i would have had enough money to buy a 5970 but to be honest im sick of making myself skint on buying stuff more powerfull than needed.

my next rig prob wont be watercooled either, nice plain and simple build that does what i want (not even bothered about quadcores either)
 
yeh i know, aslong as i can get decent framerates with the 768mb im happy, im planing on taking my time building a new rig.

will be looking at maybe a tri sli mobo so when the time comes that the 768mb just wont cut it ill drop another one in there and ive read how well these scale in sli

all i had was enough for the 768mb, if i waited a few more days i would have had enough money to buy a 5970 but to be honest im sick of making myself skint on buying stuff more powerfull than needed.

my next rig prob wont be watercooled either, nice plain and simple build that does what i want (not even bothered about quadcores either)

Yeah, the 460's scale quite well in SLI. Shame that nvidia dropped tri sli support on them, would make a pretty killer setup for the price:mad:
 
Back
Top