£130 DX9 Card Recommendation?

Tayl

VIP Member
Hello all.

I'm looking into buying a new DX9 card sometime soon as my current one is acting up on me and I was wondering what cards you would recommend for around £130. You can go slightly up or down from that figure / price range as I'm flexible for around an extra £10 or so depending on how beneficial it would be to getting a better card for the cash. Does anyone have any recommendations for me on a card within or around that price range?

Best regards,

Rove.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
alright mate,

Hmm did you know Kornowski is selling his 7950GT.. now i dont exactly know if it beats your X1950 Pro or not but hes asking around £100 for it :)

chupacabra

There aren't any good DX( cards that surpass the one you already have, if you want DX10 then get the 8800gt

Kornowski

VIP Member
Hey Rove,

For that price you could get an 8600 or something, but they aren't too hot for DX10 gaming, if you were willing to spend about £170, you could get an 8800GT which is better than the GTS and just under the GTX.

Or like Shane said, if you're interested, I'm selling my 7950GT for £100, it's never been OC'ed and it works fine :)

Nightrain

If only the drivers for the gx2 didn't suck monkey balls. I'd spend the extra few dollars and get an 8800gt. Not sure what the markup is for the uk though.

Kornowski

VIP Member
That's a great deal on the 7950GX2! Wow! Nice find!

Also, that 8800GT is a fantastic price too!

So, erm, anybody want my 7950GT for £100? :)

Tayl

VIP Member
For 116 you could get the 7950GX2, two 7900gt's slapped together. You'd need a bit of space in the case.. your current power supply looks good.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=408901

Other than that, maybe spring for a 8800gt? Nearly as good as a 8800gtx, but at half the price, alittle over your budget, but not much. ^^ that one looks good.

I looked at the motherboard compatibility page to do with that graphics card and my motherboard wasn't on the list which I guess means this card won't work with my motherboard? Or am I just blind.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce_gx2_sbios/us.asp

As for the 8800GT. I was looking at that on Overclockers. Although I wasn't entirely sure on if I should get it or not as the only one I could afford would be the OC Value one and I wasn't sure if I should trust an OC Value one or not.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-072-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1008

What do you think?

Rove.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Compatibility with the motherboard won't be a problem, as long as it has a PCIe expansion slot it'll work. Case space, and the layout of the motherboard may pose a problem, that's a big card. But i would still go with that 8800gt. That's it's a OCUK card shouldn't matter much, it looks like the specs are all there, and I'm sure that if anything happens to card itself, it will be covered under warranty.

So my opinion would be the 8800gt there, barring that nobody can find something in his budget, better brand. It looks like it's not in stock though, the 7950gx2 is getting stock sometime today, on the other hand, according to that link.

Edit: scratch that, The only reason I posted the 7950gx2, as it is out of stock, is because it said it was expected stock today. I just checked and it now says different.

Last edited:

Tayl

VIP Member
Well before the stock status on OverClockers changed to 'Overdue', the date for the delivery of stock was actually for today. I don't plan on buying this until next week anyway. So you recommend that I go for the 8800GT considering my budget etc? Just wondering, would I notice any performance difference on DX9 games to that of my current card?

Rove.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
The 8800gt is a pretty powerful card, There's no doubt the games you'd play would get a large FPS boost, doesn't necessarily mean better performance, unless you can then raise the settings.. But it'll really shine in newer games like COD4 and crysis. So yeah, I think it's worth it. Definitely.

deankenny

i wanna buy a 7950gt and whats all this about 7950gx2 is that a powerful card? and i just been playing cod4 on high settings on a 850xt averaging about 45fps

hermeslyre

VIP Member
The gx2 is two 7900gt's, with a lil' bit of play-doh connecting them together.. It's not an 100% increase in the performance of one, rather less, but still a healthy amount.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Depends. They are generally expensive, someone mentioned poor driver support, they're also hot and bulky. Add to that it's "only" Dx9. For the same price you could get a 8800gt, a better card.

The 116 pound price tag was eye-catching though.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
I know that, now. When I posted it, it said stock was expected today or tomorrow, I dunno why it changed, maybe I'm just crazy.