£180-200 on a new GPU.

Eltocliousus

Hi, I'm quite new to the forum but I'm hoping to get some great suggestions on a couple of questions I have.

In one weeks time (23rd November) I'm going to be getting a new graphics cards to replace my 8800 GTS 320mb, my 8800 (although brand new a few years back) has been starting to show it's age and I'm unable to play some of the newer titles (Metro 2033, Risen, Gothic 4 etc.) on a setting I'm comfortable with, maximum ofcourse. My budget is quite specific, £180-200.

I was going to replace my graphics card with the 5850 last year however I had some money issues and was unable to, the new 6-series from ATI have been released and I've been keeping a close eye on the 6870, it's exactly in my price range (£180 from scan.co.uk) and the performance seems perfect, a little less than the 5870 but a little more than the 5850, what more can I ask for.

However before I make my final decision on the 6870 I need a little more advice from others, I will list my specifications below and fingers crossed you can help me find the best bang for my buck.

20ea6c9b3a87b0d9918ebe8c4f05573c.png

Thankyou for any suggestions.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 6870 seems the perfect choice aswell,Just make sure your current Psu can handle it.

Another alternative would be a GTX 460 1GB..which is a little cheaper than a 6870.

I take it that E8400 is stock?...Overclock it that will be holding your performance back!

Eltocliousus

Thanks for the suggestions, the E8200 is in-fact stock yes, I've had it a few years too but I can't say it's faltering yet (although with a new card it could be holding me back) The 460 is actually below my price range, I would be looking to get the 470 if going for Nvidia, although the 6870 seemed to have a few more features and I've heard great things about the new ATI line-ups. I'm not against going Nvidia at all though, so if the 470 is faster I can get that too.

My PSU is a 650w Coolermaster so it should handle just about everything within my price range with ease. I'll be using 1680x1050 resolution on most games, maximum graphics a priority before AA. The PSU only has 1x 6 pin GPU power connector although my 8800 came with a 4-pin -> 6-pin so I can use that aswell, I have a feeling my new card will also come with one.
I have overclocked my E8200 before but I have a feeling that something bad will happen, I also feel that I'm wasting power as I'm not always playing games, I know I'm nit-picking but it's always biting the back of my neck when overclocking, my CPU cooler is quite good though, forgot the name but it's huge, emits blue light and is made by Antec.

Last edited:

Eltocliousus

Sounds great, if I don't have any other suggestions by Friday then the 6870 it is, hopefully it will be worth the wait and I can finally maximize Metro 2033, been dieing to play it for a year but I thought I'd wait to get the full experience.

Eltocliousus

Yep, go 6870
EDIT: £180 is a pretty good price, have fun with 2033

Thanks, I appreciate it, I may have hyped it up a little much over the past year though, but I'm guaranteed from others I will enjoy it. Hopefully I enjoy my 6870 as much.
Since I bumped the thread I may aswell ask, is there a specific manufacturer I should go with? The one I'm planning on getting is a Gigabyte card, the Sapphire one is also in the same price point, should I spend the extra £10 for a XFX/MSi one? Also, isn't the GTX 470 faster than the 6870? I could be miss-informed though.

Last edited: