1:1

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
well, it depends what RAM and what CPU and mobo you have... but usually your RAM wouldnt run at 1:1 with your CPU

Geoff

VIP Member
Lets take your setup, since you have an AMD Opteron, the bus is 200Mhz, which is the same as DDR400, so thats 1:1. However, once you start overclock while keeping your RAM at 1:1, your memory may start to give you blue screens since DDR400 isnt meant to run much higher than that, of course the better memory you have the higher it will go.

It's safe to say that once your bus gets to ~220, you should lower your memory to 166Mhz.

apj101

VIP Member
but usually your RAM wouldnt run at 1:1 with your CPU
no quite the opposite, they normally are in synsc. They only start moving away from 1:1 when you overclock and one or the other is the bottleneck

It's safe to say that once your bus gets to ~220, you should lower your memory to 166Mhz.
hmm most ddr400 will pass 220 core clock ok, but i guess its how much you pay for it :)

Geoff

VIP Member
apj101 said:
hmm most ddr400 will pass 220 core clock ok, but i guess its how much you pay for it :)
220 Bus would be DDR440, and ya most likely it could pass it, but i was just saying that it would be an ideal time to lower the memory if you plan to oc further.

apj101

VIP Member
220 Bus would be DDR440, and ya most likely it could pass it, but i was just saying that it would be an ideal time to lower the memory if you plan to oc further.
oh yeah i'm not arguing, just saying that i would put the benchmark more around 230-235, and remember its important to try your best to keep them at 1:1, especially on amd k8+

Ku-sama

banned
its wierd, sometimes you get crazy value RAM though, my Value Patriot runs DDR500 at 2.9V CL2.5 (rated DDR400 CL2.5 lol)

Geoff

VIP Member
apj101 said:
oh yeah i'm not arguing, just saying that i would put the benchmark more around 230-235, and remember its important to try your best to keep them at 1:1, especially on amd k8+
True, but there are some people who have generic RAM and cant get above 205Mhz :p

apj101

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-] said:
True, but there are some people who have generic RAM and cant get above 205Mhz :p
its probably more a motherboard issue, even generic valueselect will get more than that :D

LithiumSunset

liquidshadow said:
When overclocking, does it really make a difference to make your RAM run 1:1 with your CPU?

The idea is to run your memory at a 1:1 ratio for the most performance gains. That's where higher speed RAM comes into play. When I ran DDR400 on my current setup, it would top out around 230Mhz, DDR430 +/- Now, I run DDR500 and it tops out at 278Mhz, DDR556 using a 1:1 ratio on both sets. See the performance gains i've made? It's quite impressive with the machine too.

LithiumSunset

liquidshadow said:
So it's best to try to keep the 1:1 ratio? My RAM has gone up to DDR-550 with no probs.

If you want the best RAM performance then yes. Otherwise if you want the most overclocking results, then you may have to resort to using dividers. Just take it as high as you can using the 1:1 ratio and see how it performs.