1.7ghz intel or 1.6ghz amd

darkmage1991

first of all hi computer forum i have a question that needs help i looked everywhere for answers
im gettin a new laptop for a GREAT deal but it has a 1.6ghz 64bit amd single core processor, my current processor on my old computer is a intel pentium m 1.7ghz single core 32bit

the amd will have 3 gb of memory and the intel has 1gb both have windows 7 except amd is on 64bit and the intel is on 32bit

i just want to know what one can perform better for gaming and casual computing
i have heard that amd out performs intel but just runs hotter so i was thinking maybe the amd 1.6 is about equal to the intel 1.7 since its 64bit

and plz just give a a answer i don't have money to go get a high end laptop and was just wondering if i will notice a improvement with this amd or would i notice a bad drop

Last edited:

maroon1

What is name for your AMD processor ? Turion, Athlon, Sempron or ...? What GPU does it use ?
If it has one of the early Sempron or Turion processors it might be even slower than Pentium M

Anyway, I doubt that there would be any noticeable difference between the two.

You can also easily upgrade the ram of your Intel laptop. For gaming, you need at least dual core these days, and also you need to have good GPU.

None of those laptops are good for gaming, unless if you want to play 3-4 years old games.

Last edited:

darkmage1991

the intel has a radeon 7500 32mb dedicated memory while the amd is gonna have a radeon hd3200 256 mb dedicated and for games thats all i ever play is the older classic games like diablo 2 and world of warcraft, i use the ps3 for the higher end games

CrayonMuncher

the graphics in the amd seem to be quite a lot better and the extra ram will help
but as mentioned above what amd processor is it?

mx344

The amd system will preform better in games, and have all aroud better performance in everything else. Will it be a huge improvement? No, but it will be able to run semi-demanding games, sims, WOW, etc. Would i upgrade to the AMD system when i already have the intel? Nope, not a big enough improvement for me.

darkmage1991

will the fact of the amd being 64bit make it that much better or is that actually worse? and the processor also stats it may be used for both 32bit or 64bit what would perform better 64bit windows 7 or 32bit?

87dtna

Performance will be better with a 32 bit OS.

To run a 64 bit, you really need atleast a dual core or else you will get bogged down.

In this case, I would go with the AMD because the graphics card is much better along with more ram. 32/64 bit I would care less about.

PunterCam

I'm currently stuck with my old desktop - AMD athlon64 1.8ghz, 512mb ram, and a 128mb geforce 5somethingorother - It's surprisingly alright for games over 4 years old.

Considering that laptop is a decent bit better, I reckon older games will run perfetly