1.8 ghz P4 A Worth upgrading 2.8p4B

Timbo

Hi guys,
As you've probably read in another thread I'm upgrading for doom 3. And I was wondering, would it be worth upgrading from a 1.8 A to a 2.8 P4 B. I could get the 2.8 for 145 dollars.. My specs would be
2.8 Ghz pentium 4 533 fsb
Powercolor radeon 9800 SE - Hopefully softmodded to a 9800 pro
512 ddr pc - 2100 ram
40 gig hard drive
MSI-3968E Motherboard
I was reading in another thread that the Northwood B was " obsolete " So That kinda got me worried. Imight be able to save up for a Mobo and a 2.4 C but I dunno.
Any input would be great, thanks much..

72montecarlo

Yeah i would go with the northwood. good overclocker and it has the 800mhz fsb. get some good pc3200 ddr333 ram while your at it. (kingston, ocz)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I would go with the northwood.
The P4A is the Northwood :) (NorthwoodA to be specific)

good overclocker and it has the 800mhz fsb. get some good pc3200 ddr333 ram while your at it.
You're talkig about the NorthwoodC and PC3200 = DDR400 :)

I was reading in another thread that the Northwood B was " obsolete "
Yeah it kinda is... the current revision is the P4E (Prescott) which really you should avoid making the most feasible option the P4C (NorthwoodC) ... there are (plans) for a new chip based on the 915/925 chipset too but that wouldnt really be an upgrade. About the P4B however, the only reason I'd suggest you avoid it is that it has been discontinued (support too) by Intel about half a year ago. If you've got the money for it you should make a move for the NorthwoodC. I cant remember exactly but if you're running socket 423 you'll need a new mobo for the NorthwoodB anyways and since NorthwoodC's use the same package you might as well :)