1 Broadband connection on 2 computers

tonymaclennan

Hiya guys and gals.
Right, I will soon have an AOL Broadband connection at my home (I am at my sisters now), I have a laptop and a PC computer, I want them both connection to the broadband line and be able to use the internet at the same time.
The computers are in 2 seperate rooms next to each other.
I get a 1 free broadband modem with AOL.

My knowledge here is limited but I know that a router is required (think!!!) for this, can somebody please tell me how this will work, where is the router plugged in ect., generally help me with this situation?

Thanks

S_Doherty

Here is a quick run down of how to set this up:

Yes, you do need a router (there are alternatives to this, but this is the easiest way to do this). You have two choices for connecting the second PC, either an rj45 cable or a wireless card.

Typical Setup:

1. connect modem to phone jack.
2. connect router to modem.
3. connect PC1 to router through rj45 cable.
4. connect PC2 to router through rj45 cable, or a wireless card if you don't want cables everywhere.

This should be all that you need to get you up and running physically. You may want to do some configuring on your router for addition features. Also if your ISP uses a username and password to connect to the internet, then you will have to set this up in the router

tonymaclennan

SFR

Truth fears no questions
tonymaclennan said:
So this way 9with a router) i wont need network card, and only 1 modem.
No, you need an NIC (network interface card). Newer motherboards have them integrated right onto the motherboard.. or you need to buy an actual NIC card.

Are rj45 expensive? where do they connect to in the comp?
I would advise you to purchase a Cat 5 cable. This will be plugged into the NIC card in your computer and attached to the router. Then the router will be plugged into your modem which will then be plugged into the wall.

tonymaclennan

A "network interface card", is this the same as a network card?
I aint a clue whether we have them in the computers. Are these expensive?

What is the cheapest possible way to get this done? is it possible to connect 2 IDSN Modems to the phone line and use the connection like that?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
tonymaclennan said:
Auction ended.

Can somebody recommend a cheap, but fairly decent one to buy.

I wanted it ASAP.

I have used D-Link, Linksys and SpeedStream (siemens)

You need to do your own research as to which one to get. I would limit my purchase to no more than $40 for a router.

tonymaclennan

A "network interface card", is this the same as a network card?
I aint a clue whether we have them in the computers. Are these expensive?

What is the cheapest possible way to get this done? is it possible to connect 2 IDSN Modems to the phone line and use the connection like that?

S_Doherty

Yes, a NIC is an acronym for Network Interface Cards. You will need one for each PC that you connect up.They are not expensive at all. You would pay an arm and a leg for two modems each month....you could check with your ISP to see if they offer any type of deals for a wireless modem

kobaj

VIP Member
I just have to say it but AOL are you kidding me!!!!!(MY opineon) They suck worse than my...woops dont want to say that. But You nead to connect the router(http://www.farina1.com/voyager2000/router.jpg) to the modem(http://www.dicofr.com/def2/image/modem.gif) through a network wire(http://www.labelingproducts.com/tls2200/images/sample-cable-marking.jpg) AKA ethernet wire AKA rj45 AKA CAt five. Then connect a the computers (you know what they look like) with a network card AKA nic (http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/images/barebones-2k3-feb/prodigy-modem.jpg)And finaly use some software to dosome stuff to make it work (the software should come with aol, and the router)

P.s. Thank you whomever I barowed those pics from.

alvinc5

Re:

Hello,

If u r willing to spend more than £60 in the UK marketplace, then I would say... Invest in a wireless solution- Wireless Cable / DSL router, and a Wireless Adaptor. It wud save you having to pin wires to the wall and drill holes. But if they r 2 be closely opposite, perhaps go for the wired solution instead. And, yeah I agree kobaj...I don't quite know why...but I don't like AOL either...

tonymaclennan

I wanted to spend as little as.
The comps are close to each other so What I am going to do is buy a wired router, a USB network card for my laptop and use the free modem from the ISP to have the home network.

Also, is a 10/100 router good? Ignore this Q, I read my other thread wrong.

Last edited:

tonymaclennan

Almost There...Thank God

Is a 'Network adapter Card' a Network Card or an Adapter?

I am looking at routers, ebay item: 5749048635 and eBay item 5748809378 for a network card. Would these work?

Thanks

Last edited: