1 Q6600 or 2 E6850's?

TooMuchButtHair

My new gaming rig needs a CPU, and I'm not sure if I want to go quad core, or go with 2 E6850's. Will the OS be able to adress all for fours with the 2 E6850's with the same efficiency it would with one Q6600? I honestly want to go with the 2 E6850's, but I thought it would be a much better idea to ask you guys first...

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Are you going to get a server board to use 2 E6850? I've never heard of anyone doing that, but it'll cost ALOT more, produce more heat, and probably won't yield a better result than one Q6600. And if you have the money to buy two E6850, why not just wait a bit and pick up the new 45nm C2Q's?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think there is a motherboard that will handle 2 core 2 duo's. Your best bet would be get the quad core for future upgrades.

tuxify

Maybe IBuyPower.com is thinking that no one will notice that a dual core isn't 2 processors. I'd go with the Q6600, or wait until the 45nm.

Cleric7x9

Ibuypower.com offers 2 E6850's for the same price as one Q6600, so there are motherboards that can handle it.

i fail to follow your logic. You can get two 4 cylinder engines for the price of an 8 cylinder engine, that doesnt mean there has to be a car that will support two four cylinder engines.

oh, btw, please dont tell me about ppl who mod their cars to fit two engines, im just trying to make a point

i fail to follow your logic. You can get two 4 cylinder engines for the price of an 8 cylinder engine, that doesnt mean there has to be a car that will support two four cylinder engines.

oh, btw, please dont tell me about ppl who mod their cars to fit two engines, im just trying to make a point

Yeah, there are mobos to handle this and we aren't talking about cars, this is Computer Forum...

Cleric7x9

so you agree that just because a company offers the e6850 for half the price of the q6600 that there must be a mobo to handle it? i can get 5 pentium Ds for the price of a q6600, does that mean there must a mobo that can handle it?

so you agree that just because a company offers the e6850 for half the price of the q6600 that there must be a mobo to handle it? i can get 5 pentium Ds for the price of a q6600, does that mean there must a mobo that can handle it?

No.... That doesn't mean that.. You are speaking in nonsense. It must be out there if they claim for dual E6850's...

You don't think it would be QX6850? Do you?

Cleric7x9

No.... That doesn't mean that.. You are speaking in nonsense. It must be out there if they claim for dual E6850's...

You don't think it would be QX6850? Do you?

someone said there is no board that supports two c2ds. the OP responded saying that ibuypower.com sells two c2ds for the price of a quad, and then went on to imply that because of this, there must be a board that supports to c2ds. just because you cant follow the thread doesnt mean its nonsense.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Ibuypower doesn't sell individual components, they sell prebuilt PC's. Whether or not they offer two 6850's for the price of one proves nothing, sure, it's the fact that they must then build that system and ship it to you that makes it a sure thing. Unless of course they're just planning on duct taping the second chip to the side of the case...

Last edited:
He said two E6850's, I disagree with that... Is the argument not that there is a board that supports dual C2D's? You are the one not understanding, 'reread' the first post...

Geoff

VIP Member
How much are they selling them for? The Q6600 and E6850 are about the same, between $250-$300. Two E6850's would obviously be better, but there arent any desktop boards that support it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Send us a direct link to this item, please?

Here is the link, but I think he misintrepreted the specifications. he saw specs of (2x 3.0 ghx for e6850) and (4x2.4 ghz for q6600). i just think he got confused...

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=119

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6550 (2x 2.33GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6750 (2x 2.66GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1333FSB) [+ $24]
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6850 (2x 3.0GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1333FSB) [+ $114]
[=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (4x 2.4GHz/8MB L2 Cache/1066FSB) [+ $114]
[=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6700 (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L2 Cache/1066FSB) [+ $400]
[=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad-Core Processor QX6850 (4x 3.0GHz/8MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)