1 yr. old computer won't boot anymore (disk boot error)

eapeas

First off, I wanted to say hi and I wish my first post wasn't all doom and gloom on this end, heh. I'm a member over at anandtech and thought I'd post my problem over here as well, hoping someone can shed some light on this for us!

With that said, here ya go...we'd greatly appreciate some help!

No drives found (DVD or HDD)...Can't repair/reinstall XP?
So, after 1 year w/o any problems, our "newer" rig has stopped booting up. We shut it down last night and today, when we go to turn it on, it brings up the POST page.

Shows Main processor
Goes thru Memory test (never did this prior)....then hit [esc]....
Shows mem clock, fsb clock
Detecting IDE drives....

PS/2 Mouse error or no PS/2 mouse present

Nothing at all about SATA drives at all nor DVD drives (IDE)

Hit F1 to continue... (hit F1)

Verifying DMI Pool data......

Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter (we do that and nothing)

Pri Master Disk: None
Pri Slave Disk: None

Comp parts:

XP Pro OS
evga 680i Mobo
6600 dual core
2gig XMS2 Corasir RAM

2 - 320Gig Seagate HDD's.

eta: Tried boot drive (c on this computer as a slave HDD and it showed up fine, using the cables from the "trouble" rig.

Also, we hooked up each HDD individually from the "trouble" rig, one at a time, and both HDD's showed the above errors. not just the boot drive. Is that normal?

And if this is a HDD died/issue, how the hell can we reinstall windows on the other HDD when it doesn't recognize the DVD drives etc?

Last thing: the mobo's LED codes shows 7F which is: Check POST Error and display them and ask for user intervention.

Now, is this due to the disk boot error or is this telling me there's a problem with the mobo?

Thanks and glad to be here...just wish it was under better circumstances.

Last edited:

brian

VIP Member
Welcome to computer forum.

to me that sounds like your cmos battery is dead. i would take it out and check the voltage if you can or buy a new one.

eapeas

Welcome to computer forum.

to me that sounds like your cmos battery is dead. i would take it out and check the voltage if you can or buy a new one.

Now, on the 680i mobo, it has a LED read out that posts 2 digit codes etc. That is lighting up fine etc. Would that work if the CMOS battery is dead?

brian

VIP Member
it could. i would not know for sure. but it does not hurt to see if it is the battery.

eapeas

it could. i would not know for sure. but it does not hurt to see if it is the battery.

Also, I searched around and found that if the battery is dead/dying, the system clock would reset or lose time and it always still shows the correct time and date.

I greatly appreciate any and all suggestions, most definitely, so please keep trying. Thanks!

eapeas

ok. lets go back. what was the last thing that you did before it stoped working

Closed down Mozilla Firefox last night (Thursday night) and shut the computer down. Prior to turning it back on tonight (in my mind it's still Friday night), we have NEVER had a single problem with this build.

eapeas

Oh and keep in mind that the boot drive, we slaved into this rig and it showed up fine and allowed us to pull files off of it onto this rig....