100 % CPU usage! All the time

tinker

This old pc of mine has been creating lot of issues for me.

Its a
p4, 512 DDR 1 ram, 80 GB HD.

I see the cpu usage is always 100% even when no programs are running. I have original Antivirus software, and I have checked for spyware etc, its clean. Then to I am facing this problem.

Can these situations lead to 100 % cpu usage all the time:mad:

1] Bad sectors in HD
2] Low ram
3] 5 yrs old cpu

You know how frustrating situation can get when you see the words u r typing appear after 2 secs on the screen:mad::mad::mad:
I feel like ripping off the cpu and flinging it out of the window. Probably then I can RIP.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you have the original antivirus software that came with the computer, then its most likely out of date. Please do the following so we can see whats running on your system.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here or here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If for some reason Malwarebytes will not install or run please download and run Rkill.scr, Rkill.exe, or Rkill.com but DO NOT reboot the system and then try installing or running Malwarebytes. If Rkill (which is a black box) appears and then disappears right away or you get a message saying rkill is infected, keep trying to run rkill until it over powers the infection and temporarily kills it. Once a log appears on the screen, you can try running malwarebytes or downloading other programs.

Download the HijackThis installer from here.
Run the installer and choose Install, indicating that you accept the licence agreement. The installer will place a shortcut on your desktop and launch HijackThis.

Click Do a system scan and save a logfile

Most of what HijackThis lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Post the logfile that HijackThis produces along with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log

tinker

process got hung.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member

process got hung.

You can't post images from your hard drive, they must be saved to a file hosting site first.

Open task manager, click on the processes tab, find the process that is using up your cpu and let us know what it is.

tinker

You can't post images from your hard drive, they must be saved to a file hosting site first.

Open task manager, click on the processes tab, find the process that is using up your cpu and let us know what it is.

Trying to upload the image of task manager -cpu usage and file runnig - on file hosting sites.

photobucket = too slow
easy share = complicated
istock = in process but don`t know if it will give error on using the link on a forum. It did give me an error earlier.

malwarebyte still scanning after 25 mins (37366 objects scanned - zero infected still progressing)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That doesn't help me when the processes tab isn't the one showing. click on the processes tab and then do another screen shot. End malwarebytes first and any unnecessary programs.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You have the process rscmpt.exe using up 91 percent of the cpu. That process is related to your nvidia graphics card. What video card do you have?

Also looks like you have a process active that is malware. Process1.exe.

Boot to safe mode and malwarebytes.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Good, it looks like its gonna complete. When its done, finish the process that I posted and post the malwarebytes log along with the hijackthis log.

tinker

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5981

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

08/03/2011 1:10:21 AM
mbam-log-2011-03-08 (01-10-13).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 138372
Time elapsed: 50 minute(s), 25 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 5
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 7
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\360tray.exe (Security.Hijack) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\antiviruspro_2010.exe (Security.Hijack) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\MSA.EXE (Security.Hijack) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\SMSS32.EXE (Security.Hijack) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\SVCHOSTS.EXE (Security.Hijack) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command\(default) (Broken.OpenCommand) -> Bad: (C:\PROGRA~1\NETPRO~1\ZVScan\ExecScan.exe "%1" %*) Good: ("%1" %*) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\batfile\shell\open\command\(default) (Broken.OpenCommand) -> Bad: (C:\PROGRA~1\NETPRO~1\ZVScan\ExecScan.exe "%1" %*) Good: ("%1" %*) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\comfile\shell\open\command\(default) (Broken.OpenCommand) -> Bad: (C:\PROGRA~1\NETPRO~1\ZVScan\ExecScan.exe "%1" %*) Good: ("%1" %*) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\piffile\shell\open\command\(default) (Broken.OpenCommand) -> Bad: (C:\PROGRA~1\NETPRO~1\ZVScan\ExecScan.exe "%1" %*) Good: ("%1" %*) -> No action taken.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scrfile\shell\open\command\(default) (Broken.OpenCommand) -> Bad: (C:\PROGRA~1\NETPRO~1\ZVScan\ExecScan.exe "%1" /S) Good: ("%1" /S) -> No action taken.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected: