E8400
X38
MSI 8800GTS G92
4GB XMS2 (4x 1GB sticks) DDR2-800
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Antec 900

Something along those lines...

Silent132

And what do you want to do with that computer ?

Moderate gaming(CSS, Crysis-doesn't have to be amazing, i got it as a gift and can't play it now) COD4), light video/image editing(Photoshop/After Effects/Vegas).

I also need it to last me a few years at least.

daisymtc

GPU: go for 8800GS
DVD burner: pay extra $2 go for the SATA version.
HDD: Some ppl saying WD SE series is bad and it just have 8MB cache. May be going for SAMSUNG or Seagate
PSU: Where is it?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
GPU: go for 8800GS
DVD burner: pay extra $2 go for the SATA version.
HDD: Some ppl saying WD SE series is bad and it just have 8MB cache. May be going for SAMSUNG or Seagate
PSU: Where is it?

I disagree with the WDC SE comment. The 8MB cache series might have bugs, but I have absolutely no problem with ANY WDC hard drive, starting from the year 1996. The SE16, great series there.

JohnJSal

I agree with getting a SATA DVD drive, although if it's a huge benefit I don't know. Just easier to install.

What OS will you use? 4GB of RAM might be unnecessary. 2GB would be fine.

I'd get a 512MB GPU.

Good choice for the case. :)

deveritt

ANTEC 900 case is only $100 and i just bought it and it's awesome. I didn't see if the one you selected came with a PSU, but if it doesn't then I suggest the 900.

daisymtc

ANTEC 900 case is only $100 and i just bought it and it's awesome. I didn't see if the one you selected came with a PSU, but if it doesn't then I suggest the 900.

Agree. But the selling point of P182 is quiet.
The P180 is silver in color, but $20 cheaper...

Silent132

To answer a few questions-

I will be using vista ultimate, i have a copy so why not use it. I have heard that it can recognize more than 4gs and the G. Skill set has great reviews for the price tag.

EDIT: NO PSU IN P182. Someone recommend a good/inexpensive one please!! :)

Also, ill replace the dvd drive with the SATA version. I know i'm sort of limited with the budget including monitor so thank you for the prior suggestions.

Anything else i should take a second look at?

Last edited:

JohnJSal

To answer a few questions-

I will be using vista ultimate, i have a copy so why not use it. I have heard that it can recognize more than 4gs and the G. Skill set has great reviews for the price tag.

EDIT: NO PSU IN P182. Someone recommend a good/inexpensive one please!! :)

Also, ill replace the dvd drive with the SATA version. I know i'm sort of limited with the budget including monitor so thank you for the prior suggestions.

Anything else i should take a second look at?

Well, not exactly cheap, but I can vouch for this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139002

All the cables are a great length for the P182. From what I hear, if cables are too short they won't reach all around this particular case because of the cable management system, so they'd probably have to be fed up through the center hole.