$1000 for gaming rig

smrtprts

Hi guys I am looking to spend $1000 on a gaming rig for arma 2 and 3 etc. and am looking for opinions on what parts to get. The price includes peripherals such as 2 monitors, mouse and keyboard. I have windows 7 and 8 licenses. I can go over 1000 if needed.

This is what I have come up with currently
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/156Sm

Opinions? Suggestions? Thanks.

jonnyp11

4570k and z87 motherboard so you can overclock, look at a gigabyte, UD3H probably. And since it is listed at microcenter for processor, if you actually are near on then get the mobo there too since it's like 40 off in a combo, and if you can't get the 4570k, the i7 4770k is like 280 there

If the 2 monitors was for gaming on both, then don't. You need 1 or 3 for multi monitor gaming since the crosshairs will be split so aiming will be impossible

Also you need 2x4gb not a single 8gb, dual channel improves performance.

Last edited:

PCunicorn

Any board and CPU at Micro center purchased together and you will save $40. As long as the GPU has 3 Inputs you can use 3 monitors. But you will NOT be able to game on 3 1080p monitors with Arma 3 on a $1000 budget, epically including monitors.

smrtprts

Any board and CPU at Micro center purchased together and you will save $40. As long as the GPU has 3 Inputs you can use 3 monitors. But you will NOT be able to game on 3 1080p monitors with Arma 3 on a $1000 budget, epically including monitors.

Okay that's kind of what I was thinking. How much would I need to spend to achieve that?

jonnyp11

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/6a81b268#/6a81b268/32

For graphics, you could run it but not max it like that, but not at 1080p, you'll want a 3 or preferrable 4gb card, and higher end. If possible, a gtx 780 would be awesome, less preferrable but more powerful, 2 7950s or 2 670/660ti's.

You could get a single monitor or all three and a single higher end card for now, or even a 4gb 7850 or 660 or something if they have them, then add a second later or more monitors or something instead of all at once

Note, these graphics cards and multi card options will need a better quality, higher watt power supply in the 90-120 buck range like a tx750 (think it's in that area, haven't looked at psus in a while)

Last edited:

smrtprts

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/6a81b268#/6a81b268/32

For graphics, you could run it but not max it like that, but not at 1080p, you'll want a 3 or preferrable 4gb card, and higher end. If possible, a gtx 780 would be awesome, less preferrable but more powerful, 2 7950s or 2 670/660ti's.

You could get a single monitor or all three and a single higher end card for now, or even a 4gb 7850 or 660 or something if they have them, then add a second later or more monitors or something instead of all at once

Note, these graphics cards and multi card options will need a better quality, higher watt power supply in the 90-120 buck range like a tx750 (think it's in that area, haven't looked at psus in a while)

I have been trying to compile a list on pcpartpicker but am having trouble deciding what to get as there are so many options and I am fairly new this aspect of computers. If you were in my situation, would you run 1, 2 or 3 monitors (2 option using 1 for gaming and 2 while browsing etc)? If I PayPal you some money will you help me compile a list so I can be sure I build the best rig for the money?

Last edited:

jonnyp11

Would never say no to money, but 90% of the desktop subforum is doing exactly that for free.

What you get is all up to your budget, saying flexible leaves it too open because you can get a lot more performance for another hundred or 2 (to an extent).

spirit

Staff member
Ehh horrible case and PSU choice, sorry. The case you chose is really outdated and expensive and has no cable management features. A much better (and cheaper) case to get would be the Corsair Carbide 300R. The power supply is low quality, replace it with a Corsair CX 600. The CX 600 is cheaper and better quality than the Rosewill. If you want slightly more watts, you can get a TX 650 V2 or a CX 700 but the 600W will be fine.

Get 8GB of that RAM by getting another 4GB DIMM (or just by getting an 8GB kit which consists of 2x4GB DIMMs).

You don't need to buy the cooler unless you want to overlcock the 4670K straight away.

Board looks OK but I think the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H might be a better board, take a look at that.

If you want to bring the costs down further you can get a 7870 instead of a 7950, though if you can afford a 7950 with the modifications I've made above, definitely get one.

It's best to purchase from one shop, I'd choose Newegg. Makes returning stuff a lot easier if you need to down the road.

PCunicorn

No aftermarket thermal compound is necessary, the CPU cooler already comes with fine stuff. The case comes with enough fans. Get a Phillips head screwdriver and you are good to go.

jonnyp11

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202026

That gpu

Said before, get the mobo at microcenter for an extra 40 bucks off, think i linked their add

You do live near a microcenter right? There's not even 20 stores in america IIRC.

Not trying to bump your budget more, but a mechanical keyboard is very nice to use, but they are a lot more expensive and wont help you any, i just love how it feels to type

PCunicorn

Okay, that's fine. Also, just beacause the bundle isn't listed on the bundle page you will still get the same amount off any board and CPU you bundle. For example, the UD4H and 4670K are on the bundle page, and you save $40 buying those two together. If you get a Z87 board not listed on the bundle page, and a 4670K you will still save $40.

smrtprts

Oh okay I did not know that. It looks like the UD3H and UD4H are the same price, would you still suggest the UD3H?