$1000 to spend heres what I need

kinitex

CPU
MB
250GB drive
Video card
Sound card
19"+ LCD screen

I have not been following pc hardware for years now so I am completely out of the loop on whats hot. Recommendations?

[ULKER]

Where do you live? And what will you do with the computer? Play games or work with video and etc...

thealmightyone

CPU - Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz - $191
MB - ECS SLIT-A - $98

or

CPU - AM2 X2 3800 - $152
MB - MSI K9N - $77

Memory - GSkill 2GB (Dual Channel) - $170
250GB drive - Seagate Barracuda 250GB - $80
Video card - PNY Quadro FX560 - $270
19"+ LCD screen - PSA 19" - $180

As for the sound card. Unless you're plugging in guitars etc and RECORDING music, integrated sound is EASILY enough to play music/game effects/movie audio.

Core 2 Duo option comes to $989
Athlon X2 option comes to $929

I know that rendering cards dont play games very well, but I dont know how BADLY they play games compared to gaming GPU of the same price. In the end, you may be looking at buying 2 GPU's.

EDIT: You can pick up a ATI X850XT for $116 (not to replace the other GPU), and get cheaper memory for $155, which would bring the total cost of an AM2 X2 build to $1030.

I really need input from others regarding using professional rendering/3d modelling cards to play games, or using gaming GPU's to do rendering/3d modelling.

EDIT2: Just remembered, you're gonna need an operating system, unless you have one already (in CD-form, of course). XP Home will set you back another $90.

Last edited: